• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What mechanic do you use to determine ability scores?

What mechanic do you use to determine ability scores?

• 3D6 Per Ability.

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • 4d6 –Lowest; Per Ability

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 4d6 –Lowest; Free Assign (Core Rules)

Votes: 82 43.4%
  • Base + Sliding Scale

Votes: 34 18.0%
  • Base + Non-Sliding Scale

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 55 29.1%

• Poll closed .

D+1

First Post
I voted "Other" since I use the Organic Method which is not as clear cut as merely "4d6-low in order".

BTW, I did a little listing of "official" character generation schemes from all the past and present versions of D&D (well, perhaps I may have missed one or two, but I doubt it) along with some dubious off-the-cuff commentary about them. http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/stat_generation.htm

There are AT LEAST 25 seperate methods that have been officially proposed, and obviously there are many more that are unofficial. I'm confident I could list at least 35 quite distinct methods, perhaps more after a review of a few discussion threads here and there, and then include a number of optional variations that could be included on many of them.

The few choices listed in the poll don't even scratch the surface to a meaningful degree.

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Crothian said:
I let the players pick their ability scores. No rolling, no cards, no point buy...they decide what attributes their character should have.

I do the same thing with my characters. Seems to work well enough for me. In fact, my characters often have lower stats overall than those of other players who "rolled" dice.

Ramien Meltides

First Post
For me, it's all point-buy, all the time. I very much prefer the 32 point buy as my favorite way to generate ability scores, both as a player and as a DM.

D+1

First Post
diaglo said:
not to mention it isn't even correct for some of the commentary. that person obviously never played some of those editions.
On the contrary. Played every one of the noted editions (unplayed editions were not included as they were not available), though not every generation method was personally used. The commentary, however, was admittedly written in fits of blind, screaming bias and is overdue for a more sensible editorial style.

Geoffrey

First Post
I use a base + non-sliding scale. To be specific, each ability starts at 8, and a player has 15 points to add to his abilities as he sees fit (with a maximum score of 18).

Treebore

First Post
I offer my players a couple of options. Use whatever method they want out of the book, or roll 4d6 reroll 1's and 2's, pick 3 highest (average of 14 for stats, with 9 as lowest possible), or pick what you want (like Crothian).

It works for me. BTW, they have never picked what they wanted, they almost always use roll 4d6 re-roll 1's and 2's. I think the real problem with stat generation is they rarely get characters they are happy with, but with this one they always do. Which is fine by me. I have been stuck with character stats that I hated a time or two. I swore I would never do that to one of my players and have kept that oath ever since.

danzig138

Explorer
If I have a particularly heroic campaign in mind, I'll go with 4d6, drop the lowest, with one extra roll, so you can drop the lowest score, and then assign as desired. If I'm not planning a particulalrly heroic campaign, but a regular one, 3d6 in order. No extras, no rerolls.

Matthias

Explorer
I usually have my players roll 4d6-keep-3 seven times, keeping 6 stats and assigning where desired.

For my next campaign, I will probably let my players pick whatever stats they want, with three caveats:

1. Everyone must have the same number of odd-numbered stats
2. All the stat totals for the PCs must be within 12 points of one another.
3. No base stats above 18.

The more powerful the PC's, the harder I will be on them.

Remove ads