• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What mechanic do you use to determine ability scores?

What mechanic do you use to determine ability scores?

• 3D6 Per Ability.

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • 4d6 –Lowest; Per Ability

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 4d6 –Lowest; Free Assign (Core Rules)

Votes: 82 43.4%
  • Base + Sliding Scale

Votes: 34 18.0%
  • Base + Non-Sliding Scale

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 55 29.1%

• Poll closed .

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Our group rolls 4d6 -lowest, scores are assigned in order, but we get to roll six sets of scores and choose whichever set the player likes best.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
shilsen said:
80 pts divided among the six abilities, with no more than one 18 and none below 8 before racial modifiers.

We use 85 points, but no restrictions other than 18 max in a stat before racial adjustments.

No minimums.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Random Point Buy Mix

By far my favorite rolling method is one I stole off these boards. I don't know if the original poster is still around, but he did have a pretty high post count. Given this was a year or two ago.

This is a mixed Random - Point Buy Method.

1. Choose your 3 primary stats.
2. Roll 3d6 in order for all 6 stats.
3. If you/they so choose, the roller may swap 1 pair of stats. (i.e. Swap Str with Wis)
4. Add 1 point to each of the three primary stats you picked in step 1.
5. Determine what the point buy would be for your scores. (this should vary widely)
6. If your point buy is below 28 points, add the difference using the point buy method in the DMG as you see fit.

I really like this method because you keep the old school 3d6 in order, but you also can choose you favorite stats and switch a pair around in order to "aim" for a specific class. After a few tries, I've found the method allows the roller to pretty much qualify for whatever class they want.

The other side of this method is the bottom cut off. You can certainly roll better than a 28 point buy (not too often), but everyone else will be at the same power level. Being a little lower isn't so bad either, as you have even more flexibility to adjust your scores.

Last edited:

DmQ

First Post
Got 171 votes so far... Not bad. Nice to see so many house rules here. I wonder how many more are out there? Keep em comming!

D+1

First Post
diaglo said:
well then let me correct the blatant error in the OD&D commentary.
Well then let me correct your incorrect correction. The rulebook I'm looking at is Gygax/Arneson, edited by Eric Holmes, c. 1974. My "original" copy is actually a PHOTOCOPY made by the good friend who introduced me to the game. It's the same as the one reprinted in the 25th Anniversary set with the Blue Cover (which I also have):
D&D rulebook said:
Each player starts a character by rolling...
diaglo said:
the referee rolled the stats.
So that pretty much ends that. Having the DM roll your character FOR you is just so whacked I'd really be interested to know which version, specifically, that is which indicates that. Any actual quotes?
the person wanting to play a fighting man can. there are no minimum requirements. str 3 and you still qualify. you did note the xp penalty correctly.
Yes, anyone could be a fighting man or any other class. However the phrase:
D&D said:
After all six abilities have been rolled and recorded [...] the player decides what class the character will be.
And this is then followed by the method of ADJUSTING scores in order to make them more palatable for the chosen class. Stats first, THEN choose a class. THEN try to make the stats fit better. Not class, roll, fit better. The intention is undeniably to coerce the player into choosing a class to fit his stats rather than actually play the class he wants.
you forgot to mention Cha. also Supplement I Greyhawk added a few more important details to stats. but not everyone used the supplements.
I intentionally left it out because like Con it doesn't get adusted in that system. And I didn't mention Greyhawk, etc. because I do not have any other early references available to me. If I had, I would have mentioned them.
a low str fighting man was different from a high str fighting man. just as two fighting men of the same str were different. those details were left upto the player to give his PC character.
The differences in game terms were minimal or non-existant and that was the point being made. An 18 str played exactly the same as a 5 str except for, as you say, roleplaying. You were being pushed to choose a class based on rolls rather than having a class of choice first, and yet the rolls themselves often made little difference at all.

Last edited:

Ourph

First Post
D+1 said:
Well then let me correct your incorrect correction. The rulebook I'm looking at is Gygax/Arneson, edited by Eric Holmes, c. 1974. My "original" copy is actually a PHOTOCOPY made by the good friend who introduced me to the game. It's the same as the one reprinted in the 25th Anniversary set with the Blue Cover (which I also have):

That's the Holmes Basic D&D rulebook. Diaglo is talking about original D&D that came in three different booklets (Men & Magic, Monsters & Treasure, Underworld & Wilderness Adventures). The copyright date of 1974 doesn't mean your rulebook was published that year. It would have been published in 1977 or later. Diaglo's assertions are correct for the original D&D rules. Although I don't own a copy of the Holmes Basic rules, it sounds like your assertions are correct for the rules you're working from as well.

Check out www.acaeum.com for more info about the different rulesets.

Last edited:

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
25 point buy at 1st level.

However, at every level, including 1st, you add 1/3 your ECL, rounded up, to your point buy and rebuild. (No score may be lowered upon gaining a level without special circumstances.) Then, racial modifiers and other adjustments to your ability score are reapplied as if creating the character at that level.

It gives a nice breakdown of ability scores:

• 1st: 26 points
  • 3rd: 28 points
  • 5th: 32 points

... and so on, until 20th level, which gives 106 points. I followed the pattern in the DMG point-buy for stats above 18-- 19 costs 20 points, 20 costs 24 points, 21 costs 29 points, and so on.

I adopted this system after becoming increasingly frustrated by the fact that recommended point-buy numbers never allowed PCs to match the NPCs from either the setting books or from the novels, but higher point-buys that could match those characters felt bloated at low levels.

Removing racial modifiers gives the advantage that they'll be relevant over the course of the character's career, since bonuses make a higher score much cheaper than the same score from an unmodified race, and penalties make it difficult to have a really high score.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Generally, I allow players to roll up 3 sets of stats using the 4d6-drop-lowest method; if the players still don't yield a relatively decent set of stats, then they can create a set of stats using the 32-point-buy method.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads