WotC What MTG/D&D crossover material would you want to see?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I honestly wish they would do more Planeshift articles for the MtG settings that don't get a major crossover book release like Ravinca, Theros, and Strixhaven.
I'm happy with the settings already covered by the previous ones. And more Planeshift articles would pretty much be able to cover/give us a bit enough for ones like New Capenna, Eldraine, Ikora, etc etc. The ones that don't have a chance at getting a major book.

I feel that would be a good compromise.
The Art of X books are really great, almost like a system agnostic setting guide. I've got the one for Dominaria and Zendikar (both settings that I think would make great DnD settings) and they have a lot of lore in them and combined with the art it really brings the settings alive. I wouldn't mind getting a couple more of the books, Tarkir and Eldraine I think would be cool.
Unfortunately, the Art of X book line ended years ago, and keying off of those was the reason for the Planeshift booklets: they stopped when the art books stopped, then Jane's Wyatt went back to the D&D team.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
There are other books though, guide to the planes, guide to legends (I mention these because I just ordered them) there was also the latest book which was a visual guide to MtG which includes Strixhaven aand Kaldheim, unfortunately the two I wanted likely won't have any info on them.

I think the last Art of book was for war of the spark, quite a few that came after that which I guess will never end up in a book of their own.

Also, there is always this site: MTG ART - The Art of Magic: the Gathering which has a lot of cool artwork from the sets. Imagine your players walking in to speak with someone they only know by name and you show them this:
Titania-Voice-of-Gaea-The-Brothers-War-MtG-Art.jpg

dave2008

Legend
64 pages for the entire setting and all the mechanics (races/subclasses/Feats/spells/magic items/etc.)
64 pages of bestiary whether the setting actually needs it or not
64 pages of an adventure that a most DMs will never run, and the that probably 1% of DMs will run more than once.

It's a truly demented/insane approach to designing a setting book, and the fact that they've stayed committed to it even after Spelljammer allegedly underperformed is outright worrying or evidence of incredible "commitment to the bit".
I wouldn't say they are committed to it. IIRC, only one of the two settings this year is to have a similar format. Planescape was supposed have the slipcase format (though the size of the books is unknown) and the Phaldelver Campaign setting is not supposed to be in that format.

However, personally I love the 3-book w/ slipcase format. I don't think the execution was great with Spelljammer, but I welcome them giving it another try. I think the would be best served by not forcing any one book to be a particular length and just make them as larges as needed.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
However, personally I love the 3-book w/ slipcase format. I don't think the execution was great with Spelljammer, but I welcome them giving it another try. I think the would be best served by not forcing any one book to be a particular length and just make them as larges as needed.
I quite like the format as well, I find them to be reminiscent of the old boxed sets.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Planescape was supposed have the slipcase format (though the size of the books is unknown) and the Phaldelver Campaign setting is not supposed to be in that format.
My guess is that Phandelver is going to be the Starter Set + Essentials Set + some of the optional sequel adventures from D&D Beyond and a bit of fleshing things out and connecting the two sets together.

dave2008

Legend
My guess is that Phandelver is going to be the Starter Set + Essentials Set + some of the optional sequel adventures from D&D Beyond and a bit of fleshing things out and connecting the two sets together.
Interesting, have we heard anything like that. I thought it would be all new with a more Eberron style setting book. I could totally seeing being a bundle option like dragonlance was though

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Interesting, have we heard anything like that. I thought it would be all new with a more Eberron style setting book. I could totally seeing being a bundle option like dragonlance was though
I think we heard that it was "expanding" on the Starter Set, but that's all. But since the Essentials Kit and its D&D Beyond supplements are located in the same setting, I assumed we'd see the Essentials Kit go out of print this year the way the Starter Set has, in favor of just the Stormwreck Isle Starter Set remaining on store shelves. (It's the only one I see stocked at Target now, for instance.)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The one thing that we know about it is that it is supposed to involve some Far Realms element...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think we heard that it was "expanding" on the Starter Set, but that's all. But since the Essentials Kit and its D&D Beyond supplements are located in the same setting, I assumed we'd see the Essentials Kit go out of print this year the way the Starter Set has, in favor of just the Stormwreck Isle Starter Set remaining on store shelves. (It's the only one I see stocked at Target now, for instance.)
It is worth noting that Loat Mines of Phandelver comes for free with every D&D Beyond account, and the Essentials Kit comes with a free Beyond copy of the Module and directs the purchaser to create a Beyond account...so Phandelver is now the Essentials Kit onramto Beyond, now.

Remove ads