WotC What MTG/D&D crossover material would you want to see?

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
A proper MtG RPG couldn't be supported by D&D, planeswalkers are closer to gods (even the post-weakening ones) than adventurers. A system that supports the both or just the former alone would need a significantly different chassis than what D&D 5E provides to really sell the setting. Bare minimum, the five elements would need to be codified in the rules at a few different levels.

To answer the question of the OP: I'd love to see Zendikar get a proper setting book.

I guess a planewalker PC would be almost totally nerferd. I mean for example in the 1st level this couldn't travel across the planes with her own power... but she would enjoy a gift to know when and where a planar gate could appear. Then here this should be totally controlled by the DM.

And let's remember in the cancelled project of a MMO the PCs should start from zero, at least relatively.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Without the facets that tie it to Magic, these are just fairly generic fantasy realms. What makes it a M:tG setting is the manifestation of the mechanics of M:tG.

We need Planeswalkers, summoning magic, magic based upon colors, mechanics to support all those variations on blue magic manipulation, etc.... I've played a couple short M:tG setting D&D games - and they disappointed for not feeling like what they are advertised to be.

Let's be honest. There isn't that much special about the M:tG worlds outside the lore - and if the rules are not there to suppor the lore, you're not going to get the feel of the setting right.
Other than the colours of magic, which I would like to see, I disagree you need all of those mechanics. Probably the difference between us is that you want magic the gathering the card game DnD, whereas I want magic the gathering world settings DnD.

I'm guessing well never agree on this, you want all of the mechanics on MtG whereas I don't think they're needed, neither summoning or even the planeswalking are required to play in these settings because only a very specific play type would need them. I'm sorry you were disappointed in playing in the setting, but I think what the designers have done so far is the best way to port the settings.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I guess a planewalker PC would be almost totally nerferd. I mean for example in the 1st level this couldn't travel across the planes with her own power... but she would enjoy a gift to know when and where a planar gate could appear. Then here this should be totally controlled by the DM.

And let's remember in the cancelled project of a MMO the PCs should start from zero, at least relatively.
I think even at 1st level they could choose to planeswalk, problem is, you need to be playing a game where everyone is a planeswalker and they all have to go to the same plane when they jump. I don't think many DMs are going to want to run a game where their 4 players each decide to planeswalk to 4 different planes all the time instead of sticking together.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

In a DnD game Travelling across planes isnt that powerful since the DM still defines -and limits -what the player encounters when they arrive. The portal is just a gimmick to circumvent the travel montage :p

Using Conjure Animal gets up to 32 beast (cr 1/4) with a level 9 slot and Ive got no issue with Planeswalkers having to be high level builds - they are virtually gods afterall.

The big issue for the DM is how to deal with so many monsters, which means mass combat rules are needed that allow control of multiple creatures types - but personally at that point Id just pull out the cards and play mtg.

But really the desire for me is to play a character in Eldraine or Tarkir or New Capenna - not trying to be a Planeswalker with dice instead of cards

Remove ads