D&D 5E What new linages do you want?

Mandragora.

I first homebrewed a human-sized and human-shaped plant race with sonic abilities in 3.5 because I felt the game could use a compelling plant race based on real-world folklore. I had different subraces based on different plants and environs like a poisonous nightshade and a hardy desert variant.

I miss the blue, the psionic goblin subrace years before baby Yoda/Grogu became famous and popular.

The shardminds were one of the new PC races from 4th most difficult to be forgotten.

The mechanatrix, the planetouche race from Fiend Folio had got a great potential.

The fraals (litle gray alien) as psionic PC race. They were canon in AD&D 2nd.

The raptorans (Races of the Wild) shouldn't be forgotten. They were cooler than the aakoras.

Sometimes I try to imagine a D&D version of antropomorphic ponies, in the middle between cute and beatuiful, capable to sell fluffy toys but also waifu pillows.

2d28fa16207970d386c16ef5dec63f39--furry-girl-sexy-furry.jpg

I feel curiosity about sesheyans (Star*Drive, d20 Future) as "guest artists" in Spelljammer.

Savage Species had got stats for antropomorphic animals as PC races.

* If we talk about something 100% new, then my suggestion is the dokkaebi from the Korean folklore

Li Shenron

Legend
I am not particularly interested in adding new playable races/lineages (or "creatures" as I prefer to call them). Especially I don't like seeing more anthropomorphic animals or "beastfolk".

On the other hand I am intrigued by the many suggestions about plant-inspired creatures... including fungi and cactus, those are something you don't see very often!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'd like to have more variant Human lineages. The PHB has only two, and they aren't very imaginative. (Maybe that was the point? Even so, I'd rather they do something more interesting that 'this one lets you cherry pick stuff.')

Eberron made a pretty good first pass at this, with the Dragonmarks and stuff. And Tasha's really opened up a lot of creativity by letting you just pick any race you want and then say "...but except it's human, and not a Whatever." So maybe it's a little late in the game for this.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
can you elaborate on what they are exactly?
I was thinking when I posted that, that I didn't have enough information. The three in the back are Akridians, an alien race that are formed from energy or light (I'm not 100% clear on it). They seem to have different castes, nobles have for arms, others have two. Some, like the big warrior in the back have 4 eyes. Their tech enables them to change their appearance to look human which is something I integrated into the race with the ability to cast disguise self.

akridians.jpg

Just looking at my notes again, I believe they're called digital forms in the series for a fantasy game I'd call them light forms or light souls. When they die, the leave behind a life core which can be used to restore then to life by recreating their body. In my notes, I had it that the light in the life core eventually fades but the series doesn't really go into it much.

Looks like I also created one their weapons, the Serrator. A hand held object that can create a force field, form a sword, or fire energy blasts.

Serrator
Uncommon (requires attunement by an Akridian).
Able to become a sword or crossbow dealing force damage.
Sword. 1d8 force. Light, finesse.
Crossbow. 1d8 force. (same range as light crossbow)
Requires a bonus action to activate/change the form.
Can generate a shield spell 1/short rest. A bonus action must be spent next round to restore the sword or crossbow.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Upon further consideration, and with the example of playable slime from the recent UA, a gaseous form lineage might be kind of cool. Tough to balance, but kind of cool. I'm thinking about Johan Krauss from Hellboy, and obviously maybe more for Spelljamer type games.
iu

Remove ads