• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What "non-main" book do you use the most?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Besides the PHB, DM's guide and Monsters Manual, what book are you using the most?

I've found that in my experience, it is *by far* Xanathar's guide to everything. I consider it almost as important as the DMG!

I though that Volo's guide to monsters was well written and good, but I actually get a lot less use out of it. Even more so for Mordenkainen's Tome of foes.

Retreater

Legend
The adventure module I'm running?

If not that, I'd say Xanathar's followed closely by Volo's Guide. Just recently picked up Tome of Foes and haven't used it much.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron, and honestly not just because of the setting. I've been getting use and inspiration out of the Regrets, 200gp, Streets of Sharn tables, as well as the story building of the Starting Points section.

The Races and Dragonmarks as well, of course.

Kurotowa

Legend
Among players in my group, Xanthar's Guide is by far the most popular. The new sub-classes, the downtime rules, and the tool applications all get fairly regular use. Meanwhile no one's used the races material from Volo's or MToF yet. I can't speak for the DMs as much, because they don't always reveal where they're getting monsters from and I don't try to look them up.

Zardnaar

Legend
Probably SCAG but I expect Xanathars to beat it eventually. We haven't played as much post Xanathars and I bought the Midgard heroes handbook so we kind of have 2 Xanathars type books to use.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
For me it was Curse of Strahd. Thus far for 5E I've run two Tyranny of Dragons games, two Curse of Strahd games, and have just started two Eberron games. For ToD I used most of the chapters in Hoard of the Dragon Queen in some fashion, but as I set it in Silver Marches, it was purely the dungeons and selected NPCs. Most background material was taken from the 3E Silver Marches book, and I don't think I used anything from Rise of Tiamat except the final battle at the Well of Dragons. Thus far for my Eberron games I've mainly been using the 3E ECS with only small bits of mechanics from Wayfinders used. However, for my CoS games I pretty much used every single page of that book, most of it as-is, always reading, always referencing. It is definitely my favorite "small setting" book thus far (with Nentir Vale my second.) The Silver Marches book is also pretty good, except its just a bit too large for my taste-- there's just a few too many cities and towns trying to be covered, and thus none of them get as much useful detail as I would hope.

MiraMels

Explorer
I've been running games since the edition came out, and I run a lot of shorter games for an online community. Many, if not most, of my games use only the Player's Handbook, and not even all of it at once. But when I do bring in material from outside the core rules, it's almost always the Elemental Evil Player's Companion. While I am aware that all of those spells were re-printed in Xanathar's Guide to Everything, I don't care one bit for the rest of the spells included in that volume. I like genasi, I like goliaths, and I like every single one of the spells they wrote for Elemental Evil. It's far and away my most used expansion book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads