• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What "non-main" book do you use the most?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Xanathar's Guide to Everything, mostly because of the expanded Downtime activities. Honestly I am considering just photocopying that section and leaving the rest of the book at home.

I’ve had several players take race options from Volo’s and one from MToF but Xanathar’s has provided the most fodder for our campaigns: subclasses, downtime, magic items, tool use, and, yes, even the widely denigrated list of names! It’s all gold, Jerry... gold!

Shiroiken

Legend
XGtE is by far the most used non-core book by the players. As the DM, I'd probably say that currently I mostly use Tome of Beasts (3PP), because it has a lot more Fey creatures, and the party is currently dealing with a Fey Forest. The previous adventure I ran, the MM had everything I needed. In general, I imagine that most DMs will primarily use either an AP or the various monster books, because the DM stuff in XGtE isn't quite as useful as more monsters.

guachi

Hero
Like someone else said, my most used book is whatever adventure I'm playing. Could be from any edition. Right now I'm on part 2 of 2 in Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh.

S'mon

Legend
Besides the PHB, DM's guide and Monsters Manual, what book are you using the most?

I've found that in my experience, it is *by far* Xanathar's guide to everything. I consider it almost as important as the DMG!

I though that Volo's guide to monsters was well written and good, but I actually get a lot less use out of it. Even more so for Mordenkainen's Tome of foes.

Yup - Xanathar's gets by far the most use. I've only just bought Mordenkainen's. Volo's sees little use - players occasionally play the new races.

Xanathar's has highly useable PC paths/subclasses plus very nice encounter tables for the DM. Plus the common magic items & the downtime stuff. Really it's more useful than the DMG at table - rather than bring a DMG I can just bring an SRD printout of the magic items, or even just google them.

Next after XGTE would be a campaign specific hardback, like Princes of the Apocalypse for that game, Primeval Thule for those games, and Rise of the Runelords for my Runelords conversion game.

Last edited:

D

DQDesign

Ravnica, but just because lately I'm supporting the setting issuing multiple products on dmsguild.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads