D&D General What penalties or how should i handle this wish?

Li Shenron

Legend
Do I understand right that you limited Wish in a way that basically this will be the one and only time it can be cast by this character?

There is already a very strong limitation by the PHB rules:

"The stress of casting this spell to produce any effect other than duplicating another spell weakens you." (...) "Finally, there is a 33 percent chance that you are unable to cast wish ever again if you suffer this stress."

but here you're making it happen for certain the first time. I don't know what is the average number of times you can use it by the PHB, but before you meet this fate you can keep using Wish at least to duplicate lower-level spells, which IMHO is what anyone should be doing (especially a Sorcerer) to get the most out of Wish, until the day when Wish truly becomes a dealmaker to "save the day" (and maybe the year, or the century as well).

On the other hand, I wouldn't want Wish to be used for permanent character boosts of that magnitude. IIRC in some past editions it could be used to get a +1 ASI, but that in 5e isn't worth a Wish IMHO. I would allow it however for temporary boosts, even if they appear gamebreaking. So instead of looking for a "punishment" (horrible idea) I would look for a limitation: have the target PC gain a grandiose boost that lasts long enough to cover the boss battle, so that they can indeed "save the day", and then go back to normal.

• Another interpretation can be to convert the Eldritch knight into a true spellcaster - effectively rewriting the entire character sheet, but obviously removing some Fighter skills/proficiencies. Maybe turn the Eldritch Knight into a Warlock where the sorcerer that cast the Wish is the patron. This might mess up the relation at the table though, so be careful.
yup i am BIG on letting players rewrite reality sometimes by mistake.

I would give the fighter the option of a 'save negates' but tell him he has to redraw his character as an equal level bladesinger wizard... but keepings 3rd attack (but no other fighter featers)

ovks22

Villager
'Full potential' is an open thing. I wouldn't say its saying 5-9 spellslots because, that's not full potential, that's just 'doing what a wizard does' with no look at the fighting side.

I'd probably give them a custom spell that blends melee and spellwork and is themed around that. Powerful but not out of line for spells they have. Probably themed around firing sword lasers in traditional Zelda fashion, and themed around being able to fire off as an eldritch knight.
After saying the full potential thing he specified the spell slots thing, basically give the Eldritch Knight the spells lots of a wizard, not sure how should I manage a penalty for the sorcerer for such a great wish

jgsugden

Legend
I'd consider going back to the Rules as Written and follow along the advice of Baldurs_Underdark above - Accept that the impact that these spells have on the game at this level is intended, and creates a different environment. Embrace the difference. The game evolves as PCs advance and become more powerful. it is intended. In the DMG they discuss the different tiers of play and how DMs might approach it. Consider listening to a bit of Critical Role towards the end of campaign 1 to see how Matt Mercer approached PCs with this level of power.

In terms of the Eldritch Knight focused wish and a slightly overpowered wish option as you describe, I'd give the Eldritch Knight 1 spell known for each of levels 5 through 9, and the same spell slots as the sorcerer has - but any that are in excess of what he currently has do not get recovered with a long rest.

This seems strong, but it is on par with casting simulacrum on the sorcerer themself.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Hi im a relatively new DM, and the party im Dming for just got to lvl 16, there are 2 sorceres in the party and they both picked wish, i told them that i would allow only one wish per character and the whole party was ok with it because it seamed a bit op, in compensation i said i would be a bit more flexible with the wishes (allow more powerful stuff to be wished), but depending on how big the wish was (and if the wish was approved) the consequences for the caster would be greater. Everything was going well, the first sorcerer asked for help, in a very dificult boss battle, i granted it and all was well, the problem came with the second sorcerer who asked to unlock the fighter's (Eldritch Knight) full potential, meaning that he wishes for her to be able to have spells slot from lvl 5 to 9 because Eldritch Knights only get from 1to 4, this happened as they were entering another boss battle but it was cut as soon as the wish was made because the sorcerer had an emergency, the thing is that i dont think is that far fetched of a wish, but i do think his character should recibe a heavy or permanent punishment for this. Any ideas what the punishment or permanent handicap should be? Thanks in advance
what about giving them access to their 20th level spellslot casting capacity and converting all the available spell slots into 4th level slots so they're casting everything at the highest possible level for an eldritch knight (unless they specifically state they're casting a spell at a lower level) that only boils down to 11 level 4 spell slots in total, i don't know if this would be too powerful to keep after the fight considering it's the result of a single use wish spell?
EDIT: if you really do want to 'punish' the sorcerer maybe subtract the standard 20th level eldrich knight 4/3/3/1 level 1-4 spell slots from the sorcerer's own casting capacity? or maybe 3/2/2/1 so you don't remove all of their 1st to 3rd level spell slots?

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Well, the consequences seem straightforward here - the character wants his buddy to gain 5th-9th level spell slots, which is beyond the power of the Wish, so those slots have to come from somewhere else. More specifically, from someone else. A certain sorcerer, perhaps?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
So, I had two ideas, but I'd most likely go with the first:

1. Given the EK character 17th level wizard spellcasting. Straight out. Let them pick a few spells (following EK restrictions on schools) to pad it out. BUT, it's temporary -- they get the slots but the magic can't quite make it permanent, so once they cast any slot over their normal EK ability they cannot recover it. Cast that's 8th level slot? Gone for good. Any spell picked that no longer has a slot that it can be cast into similarly disappears from understanding. They also cannot memorize new spells from any source -- effectively they're boosted to a 17th wizard in a blazing instant of understanding, but then it's gone, and once they use the gifts they're gone as well. Immediately level the bad consequences from wish onto the caster.

2. Strip all spellcasting above 10th level from the caster of the wish and give it to the EK. The caster cannot recover these abilities until the EK uses them, at which point the EK loses access to the slots and the caster can regain them. Immediately level the bad consequences from the wish onto the caster.

IN ANY CASE, make the stakes known to the player and allow them to reconsider the wish. This is a case of unclear communication about the scope of available wishes and the consequences of them where it seems the players and GM are perhaps on different pages. That's a bad place to be for leveling consequences because that mismatch means that the players are very likely to feel blindsided, especially if consequences are harsh. Since you introduced the idea of more powerful single use wish, but it doesn't seem there was a followup on the scope of what that meant, I'd be cautious in how you make choices here absent an open discussion with the players.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
the problem came with the second sorcerer who asked to unlock the fighter's (Eldritch Knight) full potential, meaning that he wishes for her to be able to have spells slot from lvl 5 to 9 because Eldritch Knights only get from 1to 4,
I mean, as a DM I'd probably say that the Eldritch Knight's full potential as far as spells are concerned is the spellcasting of a 20th level Eldritch knight (and so they get those spell slots early - at 16th level it's not going to matter that much, especially if you also have two full sorcerers on the team).

the thing is that i dont think is that far fetched of a wish, but i do think his character should recibe a heavy or permanent punishment for this. Any ideas what the punishment or permanent handicap should be? Thanks in advance
However if you want to go down this route and give the Eldritch Knight those spell levels, the question is what do you mean by "punishment"? Do you mean the cost in-world for making this wish, or do you want to make that wish mechanically balanced in some way? Or both?

If balance is on your mind - both because magic has a cost and mechanically in game - you could rule that the Eldritch Knight and the sorcerer who made the wish now share the sorcerer's spell slots of 5th level and above through the mystical connection of the wish. The sorcerer has now unlocked the EK's "full potential" by sharing some of their own magic power with them. The sorcerer doesn't lose them outright, but now they're sharing their power with someone else.

If you want to have a story idea for it, the EK could instead unlock one spell of each level from 5th to 9th as they level up from levels 16 to 20 but each of those spells are actually stolen from some powerful entity who is going to come looking for the person who stole that magic from them and eventually trace it back to the sorcerer who made the wish..

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases