D&D General What penalties or how should i handle this wish?

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
if you want a more longterm enhancement rather than shortterm power spike maybe remove the restriction that most/all of their spells have to be from the abjuration and evocation schools, or that they have to be from the wizard spell list allowing the EK to pick their spells from all the available 0-4th level spells (or at least anything that isnt explictly divine)

Orius

Legend
It is extremely far-fetched for a wish, even an extra-powerful one. Look at the example in the spell description, this goes much further than anything there, in particular creating a new class that is more powerful than any other.

After that, if it's really the full potential as a spellcaster, then poof the character is now a wizard with full spellcasting potential, but loses all the benefits of his Eldritch Knight. And that is powerful enough for a wish, to changer class completely.

I agree completely. He wants his "full spellcasting potential"? Poof! Now he's a wizard.

There's a reason DMs were encouraged to pervert wishes back in the day, and this case shows exactly why. This is a selfish, unbalanced, poorly worded wish and deserves to be twisted.

CreamCloud0

I agree completely. He wants his "full spellcasting potential"? Poof! Now he's a wizard.

There's a reason DMs were encouraged to pervert wishes back in the day, and this case shows exactly why. This is a selfish, unbalanced, poorly worded wish and deserves to be twisted.
while a classic 'literal wish' twist isn't that kind of putting the consequences of the actions of one player onto another? punishing the wrong character for something they didn't do.

Weiley31

Legend
If there's no Warlock in the party, I'd say just let the Eldritch Knight get the Warlocks Mystic Arcanum feature that grants him one 6th/7th/8th/9th level spell of his choice.

Orius

Legend
while a classic 'literal wish' twist isn't that kind of putting the consequences of the actions of one player onto another? punishing the wrong character for something they didn't do.

Is the player of the Eldritch Knight cool with the wish? Or did he have alarm bells going off in the back of his head over this and ask the sorcerer's player to be more careful with the wish?

Some groups of players break the game together.

CreamCloud0

Is the player of the Eldritch Knight cool with the wish? Or did he have alarm bells going off in the back of his head over this and ask the sorcerer's player to be more careful with the wish?

that's fair, i'm just thinking 'who/where did the idea originate from?' if it's a result of the players colluding then yes spread the consequences a little, but if this is mostly an idea from the sorcerer don't negatively mess with the EK's abilities because of their teammate's actions.

ovks22

Villager

No, she was as surprised as the whole group, that prompted the clarification of what that meant, that’s when he explained the spell slots from the wizard

Remove ads