D&D 5E What PHB class are you most anticipating?

What class in the PHB do you want to see?

• Bard

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Cleric

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Druid

Votes: 19 9.7%
  • Fighter

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Monk

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Paladin

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • Ranger

Votes: 20 10.2%
  • Rogue

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 20 10.2%
  • Warlock

Votes: 37 18.9%
  • Wizard

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Poll closed .

Tony Vargas

Legend
And I think one could argue that the warlord was at least a close cousin of the marshal, who did exist in 3.5.
The nominally-compatible Battlesystem, but yeah. You could also argue it was split out from the fighter which goes all the way back to the beginning. I think it's fair to list it among the introduced-by-4e-classes, though, if only because it was so innovative or controversial (depending on whether you loved or hated it).

I am really curious, now, what a warden would look like in 5E. :)
We saw something called the Warden in the playtest - a druidy LN Paladin.

fjw70

Adventurer
For me it is definitely the fighter. I want to see the final version of weapon/Battlemaster (whatever it is called). The fighter with maneuvers.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm only interested in the Warlock and Sorcerer because I haven't seen them yet. Most of the other classes I've at least seen and/or played the playtest version of.

What I'm REALLY interested in right now is... how many SUBCLASSES will each class have and WHAT ARE THEY. That's exciting speculation, IMO.

Overall I would be more interested in seeing what they came up with about subclasses, if I also didn't have the feeling that we won't get any more than those already seen in playtest (i.e. ~2 per class), with the exception of the additional domains (not enough anyway) and wizard schools.

I have reason to believe there will be a more that we haven't seen yet. Probably not as many more as we'd like, but perhaps a few surprises.

Ranger is at the opposite end - I want to see it, but it was basically a rolling disaster through the entire Playtest, without any sort of consistent or working concept beyond "Er... he has Cheesy Detective Show-style Tracking I guess?". In October he was one of the weakest combatants, particularly the so-called Colossus Slayer, who was probably the weakest class at damaging a single, tough enemy! (iirc - maybe Clerics were behind him!), which isn't really appropriate. I expect that, as they upped the DPR of the Rogue a hell of a lot, they'll notice this. If they don't, oh boy.

? That 1d6 on successive attacks isn't limited to once per round. A dual-wielding ranger on a roll will keep adding it to every attack that hits. Maybe it is weak compared to other options (I haven't done a mathematical analysis), but it sure didn't feel weak in my group's playtests (though we had some technical issues, which might have skewed our perception).

I'm only interested in the Warlock and Sorcerer because I haven't seen them yet. Most of the other classes I've at least seen and/or played the playtest version of.

You haven't seen the NEW bard! From what Mike said, it sounds like a completely different class.

Kaffis

First Post
I REALLY REALLY want to know if they kept in the green knight.
This is where I'm at. After really enjoying the 5th edition game Wizards ran at last year's GenCon, our group put our 4th edition campaign on hiatus (for a few other contributing factors, as well) and did other stuff. My character for that campaign was a Warden, so whether the green knight returns (and how far it is allowed to deviate from the standard paladin spell list) will have a big impact on how cleanly we're able to convert, or what kind of transitions we'll make in the process. The good news is, if I don't like the way the green knight feels for the character, and want to go some ranger or druid multiclass build instead, the group still has a traditional paladin who won't be diluting her hit dice, as well, to hold up the protective slack.

I've always been a ranger fan, too, though, so I'm curious as to how some of the subclasses finally shook out. And I'm curious about the sorceror, though the 5th edition divine magic mechanic may have stolen some of its appeal for me by loosely mimicking the 3rd edition sorceror mechanic.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
The most anticipated classes are all Charisma classes:

Bard
Paladin
Sorcerer
Warlock

But there seems to be no Charisma races.

One would think, the Elf who loves magic and song would need to do well as a Bard.

Remove ads