D&D 5E What previous-edition D&D settings, races, classes, items, weapons and so on do you think we'll never see in 5E?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Fairly ridiculous though. Al Qadim is not meant to be an accurate reflection of the real Middle East. It is the Middle East as filtered through 1001 Arabian Nights* and Western entertainment. (It even states this in the Arabian Adventures book). No one's hiring proper Medievalists to write about the Sword Coast, I don't see why you need to do so to write about the other regions).

* Let's not forget the original Aladdin story was a semi-autobiographical piece written by a Christian Arab about his journey to Paris.
Whether it’s supposed to be reflective of the real Medievel Middle East is irrelevant.

How about we don’t derail a thread with the same argument this forum has seen a dozen times, that inevitably involves politics and heated social issues that will 100% get the thread locked?

Whether it’s supposed to be reflective of the real Medievel Middle East is irrelevant.

How about we don’t derail a thread with the same argument this forum has seen a dozen times, that inevitably involves politics and heated social issues that will 100% get the thread locked?

Fair enough, won't go back to somewhere that's been well trod.

Zardnaar

Legend
It depends on whether you think the Heroes of the Lance are the be-all and the end-all of the setting or not. The post-War Of Souls still has all the other classic elements - Knights of Solamnia, Dragons, Wizards of High Sorcery, Kender, Tinker Gnomes, etc, but added with the Knights of Neraka, Legion of Steel, Primal Sorcerers, Mystics and much more. It really took the best elements of Taladas and introduced them to the wider settings.

If you want to play through the War of the Lance then replay the original modules. If you want a coherent, interesting and wide-open setting, there are better Dragonlance releases. (All released in the 21st century).

DL lost me after DoSF and the second cataclysm.

Al Qadim won't be redone.

Coroc

Hero
Why would Dark Sun prove intractable? Dragonborn get reskinned as Dray, Goliaths as Half-Giants, add in Mul, reflavour the other races, warlocks get reskinned to be Templars.

Defiling and Preserving work sort of like the wild magic sorcerer.

Don't see any real issues.
Its a slight bit more complicated than that, your conversion ideas do not even scratch the surface of the real problems with darksun for 5e. Check out @Zardnaar and my and some others ideas on that.

It really is not about oh let us reskin Halfgiants as Goliaths and then we are done.

That is like saying only thing missing for Dragonlance are some colored robes for the wizards, oh and let us reskin Dragonborn as Draconians.

Li Shenron

Legend
The only thing I am pretty sure won't be made is a Rokugan campaign setting sourcebook, because WotC did not renew the rights after 3e. That's why I made my own conversion already for it :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Why would you think they wouldn't own all the Dragonlance and Mystara IP?
Largely because if they did I think we'd have seen a lot more use made of it over the years.

Mystara/Known World was, to begin with, Dave Arneson's thing. Dragonlance, of course, is Weis and Hickman's. I've no idea whether either IP was ever sold outright to TSR/WotC or merely licensed from the creator(s).

Largely because if they did I think we'd have seen a lot more use made of it over the years.

Mystara/Known World was, to begin with, Dave Arneson's thing. Dragonlance, of course, is Weis and Hickman's. I've no idea whether either IP was ever sold outright to TSR/WotC or merely licensed from the creator(s).

Dragonlance was always work for hire. Most of the RPG material until the 21st century as produced without involvement from either Hickman or Weis. Hickman wrote the original modules and Weis and Hickman cowrote the novels. Others, including Douglas Niles, created the setting. So it is owned 100% by WoTC.

Mystara likewise. The Blackmoor modules were produced by Arneson as work for hire, as is all stuff produced by Zeb Cook, Moldvay and Bruce Heard. Anything that didn't appear in a TSR publication, though (ie, plenty of Blackmoor stuff that never saw print) doesn't.

I'm curious as to you saying that they didn't really "make use of it over the years". Dragonlance has had material produced almost continuously from the 80s to the early 2000s. The Known World/Mystara stretches 1981-1995. Outside of Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms they are probably the two longest-lasting settings. Dragonlance from 1st edition, to 2nd and to the end of 3rd; Mystara from Basic D&D to 2nd edition AD&D. It outlasted Spelljammer and (almost) Planescape.

Its a slight bit more complicated than that, your conversion ideas do not even scratch the surface of the real problems with darksun for 5e. Check out @Zardnaar and my and some others ideas on that.

It really is not about oh let us reskin Halfgiants as Goliaths and then we are done.

That is like saying only thing missing for Dragonlance are some colored robes for the wizards, oh and let us reskin Dragonborn as Draconians.

For Dragonlance, mechanically? That's not far off it. I really think people are overthinking of it. Most of the changes are flavour.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases