What Property That Has Never Had A TTRPG Adaptation Deserves one?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Scholastic (along with Viz) is a bigger comic publisher then DC and Marvel.

I post a link if I wasn't on phone.
Comic strips != comic books

Expecting a young person to A) read a newspaper and B) go find the comics and C) connect with a revival of a very old-timey franchise feels like a lot to hang a new RPG release on. At best, this is the kind of thing that could maybe make sense as a Kickstarter campaign, but even that involves some level of financial risk, since presumably, the game developer would have to pay out money for the rights before testing the waters with a crowdfunding campaign.

Or am I misunderstanding you and Scholastic is now in the Flash Gordon business? (Which would be surprising, given what I saw of their output at my kid's book fair just yesterday.)

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
A True Story by Lucian of Samosata. That thing's been begging for an RPG for centuries, and gaming has failed it. I've never played in a game where a whirlwind takes my ship to the Moon, where I participate in a war between the forces of the Sun and the Moon which is decided by cloud cover...

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Or am I misunderstanding you and Scholastic is now in the Flash Gordon business? (Which would be surprising, given what I saw of their output at my kid's book fair just yesterday.)
Yes, you are misunderstanding.
Scholastic through their middle grade imprint PaperCutz will be releasing a new Flash Gordon series of graphic novels. [edited to add], Mad Cave is the master publisher

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yes, you are misunderstanding.
Scholastic through their middle grade imprint PaperCutz will be releasing a new Flash Gordon series of graphic novels. [edited to add], Mad Cave is the master publisher

Wow, that is really interesting. If that takes off, I can see the argument for an RPG, I guess. (Although Scholastic series aren't generally the springboard for RPGs, unless there's a Last Kids on Earth RPG I don't know about.)

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Wow, that is really interesting. If that takes off, I can see the argument for an RPG, I guess. (Although Scholastic series aren't generally the springboard for RPGs, unless there's a Last Kids on Earth RPG I don't know about.)
It's called Apocalypse World Kids on Bikes edition; or maybe Kids on Bikes, Apocalypse World edition...

aramis erak

Legend
Pinnacle did a Savage Worlds Flash Gordon in 2018.
FGU did Flash Gordon and the Warriors of Mongo in1977. It's claimed to be the first game to openly use a preëxtant media source...Reading it, it's claiming to be licensed by King Features.

Note that EPT was licensed engine to the setting IP creator, and is a year earlier IIRC.

The Savage World of Flash Gordon has plenty enough for those unfamiliar to at least get the feel close to the original comics.

The real question with the relaunch is how faithful to the original will it be; I strongly suspect it will have very significant moves in the "woke"¹ direction, and thus be less than a good fit for the existing RPG treatments. I'll note as well - Noble Knight isn't gouging on the FGU game.

¹: for lack of a clearer term

Last edited:

Remove ads