D&D General What "Rating" Do You Prefer Your D&D

What Rating Do You Prefer Your D&D

• G: little to no adult content; "family friendly" (Nicktoons)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • PG: some action violence and a few naughty words; no sex (Pixar films)

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • PG-13: harder violence and stronger language; sexual situations; some adult themes (MCU/Star Wars)

Votes: 87 69.6%
  • R: potential violence, gore and sex, and/or heavy adult subject matter (HBO Game of Thrones)

Votes: 42 33.6%
  • X: intentionally violent, horrific, adult and/or sexual (most M video games)

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • You missed my favorite levels of sex and violence!

Votes: 4 3.2%

Shiroiken

Legend
As a player, I'm largely up for anything PG or higher. As a DM I consider my game to be a "hard R," even though most sessions are going to be PG13. I have no problem pulling out some horror and tragedy on the players, so some might even consider my game NC17.

I think the media comparisons kind of weaken they survey, given that for example most of the MCU/Star Wars plays at the very safe end of PG13, rather than up at the other end. And relatively few games have as much sex as GoT, but frankly few D&D games don't have as much violence, it's just some people are fooling themselves about it or glossing over what is actually horrific violence - that's part of why this discussion comes out of BG3 - you can't entirely gloss over the violence because you see it being committed - see the blood, see the charred corpses, hear the screams, and so on.

If you said, say Heat (the Michael Mann movie) for your R example, I bet you'd have seen like 20-30% more votes on R. Because a lot of D&D games are kind of like Heat but with more jokes, frankly.

Also re: PG13, yes the safest MCU movie possible is PG13, but so is The Dark Knight (!!!), Dunkirk, Mission Impossible: Fallout, Hotel Rwanda, Kong: Skull Island and a bunch of other stuff that's more horrifying than a significant percentage of R-rated movies.

(As an aside, some of the MCU movies I'm pretty sure they intentionally added a minor swear or slightly more violent scene or two just to make sure they didn't get PG instead of PG13 because that would be embarrassing to them.)

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend

I imagine this thread will go the same way in the end.

Less concern over violence, language, little drugs, but most lean away from anything sexual.

it's just some people are fooling themselves about it or glossing over what is actually horrific violence - that's part of why this discussion comes out of BG3 - you can't entirely gloss over the violence because you see it being committed - see the blood, see the charred corpses, hear the screams, and so on.

Yeah, considering my character looks something like this after every fight this is what I've been getting at the last few days.

img637160068dc288.11411272.jpeg

Contrast with pretty much anything Wizards is putting out since 2020?

Scribe

Legend
Ah, America, where horrible violence illicit a shrug but a single exposed nipple will bring down the wrath of thousands.

Is what it is. Not as strict here in Canada I would imagine, but the acceptance of violence is certainly apparent.

My mom used to let us watch any of the old action movies of the 80's unless the swearing was too terrible, but if a dress slipped down the shoulder it was "cover your eyes, we are fast forwarding" :LOL:

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Ah, America, where horrible violence illicit a shrug but a single exposed nipple will bring down the wrath of thousands.
On the other hand, over the past thirty years of my life, I have played with far far more people that I'd rather punch in the mouth than have sex with, especially with everyone else at the table watching. Break out the battle axes, those numbers are a little closer but I'd still rather do without the audience.

Last edited:

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
My mom used to let us watch any of the old action movies of the 80's unless the swearing was too terrible, but if a dress slipped down the shoulder it was "cover your eyes, we are fast forwarding" :LOL:
First movie I ever seen in the movie theater was A Nightmare on Elm Street. My parents' version of the "birds and the bees" talk involved a large (and sticky) pile of VHS tapes.

I went with PG but mainly cause of the fact I play with my 11 yr old and he doesn’t have any interest in kissing or such stuff. We’re probably PG13 for language and R for violence, gross deaths are pretty popular in verbal fiction, which is interesting cause kid isn’t at all interested in visual violence, like even wrestling stuff turns him off. But, “my great axe cleaves the goblin in half spraying guts around the room,“ good times.

Remove ads