What RPG do you most regret parting with?

R_J_K75

Legend
With some of these decisions - whether a bald-faced lie to steal someone's books, or even the decision to get rid of one, I think a lot about how our brains are still developing until age 25 or so.
I'd think that everyone is different as is most likely each generation too, but 25 y/o sounds like a good estimate. Even at an older age I've made decisions I have regretted. Sometimes they are just spur of the moment reaction or impulse decisions, while others are forced by necessity. I've sold probably 3/4 of my RPG collection at various times over the years but honestly there aren't too many that I regret off the top of my head. Most of what I got rid of was just taking up space, was stuff I either never played or no longer played so if they went to someone who is going to use them then I'm fine with that.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
My Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters International boxed set RPGs from West End Games.

Don't remember when I got rid of them (might have been when I went off to college and I cleaned out a lot of my room and closet) but have wanted to have them again at various points throughout the years.

R_J_K75

Legend
The worst bloody nose I ever had wouldn't have destroyed a book
Oh yeah, and I'd be hard pressed to believe a bloody nose would ruin an entire book. I think that they could have wiped it off, cleaned it up and although gross the few pages affected would most likely still be legible. Even if they weren't the whole book wouldn't be ruined. I've come to the conclusion that telling the truth is way easier than making up some wild, over-exaggerated asinine lie.

I'd think that everyone is different as is most likely each generation too, but 25 y/o sounds like a good estimate. Even at an older age I've made decisions I have regretted. Sometimes they are just spur of the moment reaction or impulse decisions, while others are forced by necessity. I've sold probably 3/4 of my RPG collection at various times over the years but honestly there aren't too many that I regret off the top of my head. Most of what I got rid of was just taking up space, was stuff I either never played or no longer played so if they went to someone who is going to use them then I'm fine with that.
Hah, yeah, bad decisions are not solely the prerogative of youth!

I've gotten rid of plenty of RPG books to free up shelf space. By far, the vast majority of those books I do not miss. But some, yeah, some I spent more money getting back than I did buying them in the first place.

Oh yeah, and I'd be hard pressed to believe a bloody nose would ruin an entire book. I think that they could have wiped it off, cleaned it up and although gross the few pages affected would most likely still be legible. Even if they weren't the whole book wouldn't be ruined. I've come to the conclusion that telling the truth is way easier than making up some wild, over-exaggerated asinine lie.

I spilled a whole mug of chocolate milk on my 1e DMG once and that didn't ruin it. The kid probably just wanted to keep the book and that was that.

rgard

Adventurer
Hah, yeah, bad decisions are not solely the prerogative of youth!

I've gotten rid of plenty of RPG books to free up shelf space. By far, the vast majority of those books I do not miss. But some, yeah, some I spent more money getting back than I did buying them in the first place.

I spilled a whole mug of chocolate milk on my 1e DMG once and that didn't ruin it. The kid probably just wanted to keep the book and that was that.
"The kid probably just wanted to 'steal' the book and that was that."

There, fixed that for you.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Sold my Continuum RPG and the expansion Further Information back to my store when I owned a store. Probably sold it to some random (but beloved of course) customer for retail price.

Now it's big bucks, and is also somewhat of an obscure indie darling due to its method of handling time travel role-playing

I also regret selling/giving away my GURPS 3e core rules when I bought the two 4e core books. Not because it's expensive, but because 4e just isn't all that

Last edited:

GamerforHire

Explorer
I have yet to deliberately get rid of anything, lol, but have been contemplating a sell-off for a while and am struggling with the particulars. I think it is time to get rid of my AD&D 1e collection, saving just the premium reprints of the three core books, as well as my huge collection of AD&D 2e materials (including extensive setting books/boxes). But I hesitate.

I did lose track of a few post-apocalyptic games while in college and after, and missed Aftermath!, The Morrow Project, and also Top Secret. I repurchased two of three and don’t regret it.

pemerton

Legend
I've never sold any RPG books.

I lent some RoleMaster supplements - Elemental Companion and Spell Users Companion - to a friend at uni and never got them back. I was able to pick up a second hand copy of Elemental Companion some years later, but Spell Users Companion is still a gap in my RM collection.

One time I saw an original (ie with Cthulhu et al) edition of DDG in the same second-hand rack where I rebought the Elemental Companion, but didn't have the money to purchase it. In retrospect maybe I should have lashed out!

The only other comparable regret is comics rather than RPGs - a local comic shop had the Wolverine vs Sabertooth (either Uncanny X-Men 213, or a reprint version) in its back issues. I didn't have the $20-odd to purchase it. It's still the gap in my run (across various publication formats/editions) of Claremont X-Men.

Remove ads