D&D 5E What rule(s) is 5e missing?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That was not my "original statement".
OK the statement I was originally reacting to was "Force due to gravity is directly proportional to mass, but acceleration is inversely proportional to mass, so it cancels out."

Correctly put it is directly proportionate to both mass and g (acceleration due to gravity). This is just the verbal form of F=mg

My original statements were

Incorrect. For the reasons now outlined at length, the only reason mass matters at all is due to air resistance.
if you are a 1/8 the mass like a hobbit or 1/4 like the halfling then F is significantly different right?
and Kinetic energy is Force x Distance so the Force is not irrelevant. The hobbit can fall 8 x as far before absorbing the same energy.

if extra mass allows one to be better at absorbing energy from a fall then it will cancel out of course.

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Technically Halflings aren't 1/8 the mass, it's closer to 1/4, since their height and weight are about that of 3 year old humans in 5e.

James Gasik

Supporter
Yeah, you'd think Halflings would follow the square cube law, but they don't. Maybe that's why they can have 20 Strength?

James Gasik

Supporter
As an aside, Halfling height and weight seems to change with ever edition, they were getting taller for awhile, by 4e they were about the size of 7-8 year olds. Now they've shrunk again.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, you'd think Halflings would follow the square cube law, but they don't. Maybe that's why they can have 20 Strength?
I have a concept I call Fae strength and if you look at Tinkerbell from hook it demonstrates how powerful she is on the inside which manifest in physical strength too.

PS basically it means in stories about magic beings and superheroes you can screw over physics all you like

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
As an aside, Halfling height and weight seems to change with ever edition, they were getting taller for awhile, by 4e they were about the size of 7-8 year olds. Now they've shrunk again.
just looked it up there are plenty of adults who 8x the weight of a typical 3 year old... I was a few months ago :p

James Gasik

Supporter
I remember Terry Pratchett's Nac Mac Feegle play with the concept as well. I remember in 3.x doing the math for Halfling carry capacity and pointing out that even with -2 Strength and 3/4 carry capacity, they were proportionally stronger than humans.

Some people don't like the "pint-sized powerhouse" concept, and I respect that, but Halflings and Gnomes (and to an extent, Dwarves) have always embodied it to some degree. 4e Svirfneblin could even have +2 Strength, which amused me greatly at the time.

So Halfling power doesn't bother me now (and Goliaths are still stronger, since they have a lot of carry capacity). But bounded ability scores does make it a bit more jarring, I admit, when Goliaths, Bugbears, and Firbolgs aren't any doughtier in melee combat than anyone else.

I've always wanted to include Large sized races in my campaigns (as well as Tiny ones) but balancing them has always been an issue. In 3.x/Pathfinder, just being big might let you use bigger higher damage weapons or have extra reach, and that almost assuredly makes big races so much better than medium ones for melee combat that it's hard to imagine why anyone wouldn't play one.

One thing I've always disliked is when a race ends up pigeonholed into being subpar at something. Like, every race is going to have all professions and (presumably) all character classes. The fiction sometimes even backs this up, with Orc priests of Gruumsh, or shamans- female Drow being priestesses of Lolth, etc.., but historically, those races tend to really suck at the associated character classes.

If a race has more Strength, they're just that much better at being Fighters- that's logical, but there are Elf and Halfling Fighters too, just as there are Goblin Wizards.

Being able to swap around your ability score bonuses kind of solves this problem, which I like...to a point. It does, however, feel a little odd that Orcs and Bugbears are no longer "strong guys".

What I would prefer, and what I think 5e could use is rules that let races be different but equal- sure, maybe Bugbears are stronger physically, but perhaps Elves have some advantage that lets them make up for this disadvantage and remain equal- like how Drizzt has never needed 20 Strength to be one of the Forgotten Realm's premier warriors.

This goes for casters as well. Sure, maybe Orcs aren't the brightest or wisest, but perhaps they have some special advantage that lets them, in their own way, be scary casters regardless (perhaps Gruumsh gives them a special blessing that lets them use Strength as their casting stat, or their damaging spells are more volatile).

James Gasik

Supporter
just looked it up there are plenty of adults who 8x the weight of a typical 3 year old... I was a few months ago :p
Oh yes, but I'm saying, if the average halfling is 3' tall and 40ish pounds, compare them to the average weight of a 6' tall human (not that 6' is the human average, but it makes the math easier for me).

Remove ads