• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What Rules Do You Want to See in 4E?

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Salthorae said:
Not to sound rude, but why are people so eager for yet another rule's overhaul? QUOTE]

Honestly it's not up to us. 4th Ed is going to happen because it is a financial necessity for Hasbro. Doesn't really matter whether you or I want a new edition.

Now as for what I'd like to see (even though it will never happen) is to have "Dexterity" broken out into Manual Dexterity and Agility. I'm tired of every marksman having to be a world-class gymnast as well. It is particularily troublesome when you try to play something like d20 Star Wars - "one stat to rule them all" does not make for varied characers. If they still want to have 6 stats, surely they could combine INT, WIS, and/or CHR.

I'd also like to see hit points go away in favor of something a little less rediculous (speaking of d20 StarWars again, the current WP/VP are fine - but there's probably a better way even than that). Anyway, that is even less likely to happen :\

Destil

Explorer
No more 1.5x Str bonus with a two handed weapon. Make this a feat, to even it out with two-weapon combat. My idea breakdown would be.

Power Grip
Str 13+
You gain 1.5x your strength damage to damage when wielding a non-light melee weapon in two hands. You may subtract up to -5 from your attack bonus and add the same amount to damage (with a light weapon you only add 1/2 this bonus to damage).
Normal: You add your strengh bonus to melee damage.

Power Attack
Str 15+, BAB +6
You can subtract up to your base attack bonus to hit and add this amount to damage. When wielding a two handed weapon you instead add double this armount to damage.

Two-Weapon Fighting
Dex 13+
You reduce the penelity to hit for fighting with two weapons by 2 points. You are also considered to have no off-hand, removing the standard -4 penelity to hit and with an off-hand weapon.

Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
Dex 15+, BAB +5
You can make a second off-hand attack at -5 to hit
Special: If you have a BAB of at least +11 you can also make a third off-hand attack at -10 to hit.

This solves a lot of the power disparity problems with Two-Weapon fighting vs. A huge sword and makes fighters better fighters (you can't just make an 18 Str cleric of Kord and be good with the greatsword). And while the ideal power attack-damage ratio is 1 - 1.5 at the cost of two feats 1-2 should be closer to fair (and 1-1 for a light weapon should likewise not be so bad, given that it would take 4 feats to really make it work).

More unified weapon rules.
The only real difference between most simple and martial weapons is the crit factor. A mace is basicly a longsword that dosn't threaten a critical on a 19. Why not just give them identical stats and make it so if you have simple weapon prof. you have a 20x2 crit and with martial you get a 19-20x2. So your cleric can use a sword, but not as well as a fighter.

Better multi-classing rules.
This covers better balance across all levels (less front-loading), no XP hit and the stupuid number of prestige classes (which are 'needed') as well as non prestige-class rules to fix multiclass casters. Multiclassing is the best rule change in 3rd edition, but there's still a lot of rough corners to smoothe out.

More consistant core classes.
Base the mage, fighter and cleric off the 3.x rogue. Rogue is the perfect class in 3E, you can make all sorts of archtypes with it, you get useful abilities at least every other level and there's an incentive to stay with it all the way (special rogue only abilities) or to dabble in it a bit. All classes should be built like this. The more exotic once can be more different, but the big 4 should all have some symmetry.

Give the fighter unique special abilities at 10th, 13th, 16th & 19th, and some extra defense abilities at 3rd, 5th and 7th.
Mages and clerics mirror sneak attack advancment with new spell levels. So smooth them out with some bonus feats from a list and unique abilities at 10+ just like the proposed fighter and 3e rogue.

Last edited:

EyeontheMountain

First Post
What I really want is a system like "Buy the Numbers" where you can be most anything, and buy any ability in the game if you are willng to put the points into it.

Or for example you get a feat or feats everylevel you can use to buy skills, feats, or spellcasting progressions. But spellcasting progressios should be much narrower, so a Wizard cannot cherry-pick every spell in the game. Maybe at most 4 or so schools.

So that would eliminate prestige classes and a lot of the sillines and brokeness hiding in that part of the game.

Nail

First Post
KarinsDad said:
So, I was wondering which rules or meta-rules (rules about rulse) would make your game more enjoyable.
I already use them. 'Nuff said.

Now to address the question in the title of this thread:
Put off 4e as long as possible, please.

bestone

First Post
What would i like for 4th edition?

How bout a handover of the system, down with hasbro :p

I would like to see tsr, honestly, take it back, and use the streamlined third and add thier special touch. (yes i realize tsr is dead, and this would be impossible to make happen, but that still my view)

Last edited:

bestone

First Post
Nail said:
Put off 4e as long as possible, please.

Why? you absolutely need new splatbooks every month?

If you dont want to waste money on a new edition, and if your happy with the way 3rd works, then dont buy a new edition.

No-ones holding your arm saying if they release fourth you have to burn all your 3rd books and buy new 4th ones.

Felix

Explorer
bestone said:
I would like to see tsr, honestly, take it back, and use the streamlined third and add thier special touch.
You don't like Hasbro for their handling of the DnD system... and your solution is to return it to TSR?

My mind has just been boggled.

bestone

First Post
Felix said:
You don't like Hasbro for their handling of the DnD system... and your solution is to return it to TSR?

I liked what tsr did with it, 2nd edition made a lot more sense to me (in many ways, im not saying it didnt have its problems, all systems do):p And take what i said, I said i'd like to see what tsr could do with the wizards current system, something streamlined. Imho the game itself has evolved, and would have evolved either way. I liked the feel from them

I dont like the corporate sell sell sellness of hasbro

And note, i didnt say let them make a new system, i'd like to see them add thier touch to third. Perhaps they could come up with, oh, i dunno, eq lists that make sense (10' wood ladders not being 1/4 the price of 10' wood poles). ect ect.

My mind has just been boggled.

Sure, you didnt have to like what they did, I did however.

And frankly insulting my opinion is pointless, as its my opinion and im entitled to it. You dont have to agree. And your not going to change my pov.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
bestone said:
And note, i didnt say let them make a new system, i'd like to see them add thier touch to third. Perhaps they could come up with, oh, i dunno, eq lists that make sense (10' wood ladders not being 1/4 the price of 10' wood poles). ect ect.

Supply and demand.

Who can sell a 20 pound ladder these days? Nobody wants them.

A 10 foot pole, on the other hand - the adventurer's staple! They'll pay a lot more than 5cp to ensure they're properly equipped, let me tell you!

-Hyp.

bestone

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Supply and demand.

Who can sell a 20 pound ladder these days? Nobody wants them.

A 10 foot pole, on the other hand - the adventurer's staple! They'll pay a lot more than 5cp to ensure they're properly equipped, let me tell you!

-Hyp.

Lol :p

Remove ads