What Should Happen In Discovery Season 3?

Azuresun

Adventurer
The point being that "new" in and of itself is not sufficient to get folks to care, as Voyager found out.

Hmm, a lot of the time, Voyager didn't feel particularly new to me. New species of the week, Klingon knock-offs, cosmic space wedgies, holodeck malfuctions, and a lot of other plots that felt like recycled TNG scripts. The ones that stood out for me (much like DS9) were the ones when Voyager actually did plots that actually used the unique premise of the show, like "Equinox" or "Scorpion".

Mallus

Legend
True. If they are aiming for a classic seven-season run, they have five seasons to handle it n.
That would be great. A loose arc running through five more seasons kinda like DS9. I suspect there's almost no chance of that, though. CBS is aiming for enough Star Trek series to cover an entire year -- a transparent strategy to prevent people from un-subbing/re-subbing that would totally work on me -- and the other streaming services seem to be embracing shorter runs/more new content, rather than the old network goal of 'long-running hit'. I'd like to read a breakdown of the economics of that last bit, especially for expensive productions like Star Trek series.

If he was consulted, we'd know about it. JMS would not consult if he couldn't take credit, and he's not shy about claiming it when he can.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

(true)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That would be great. A loose arc running through five more seasons kinda like DS9. I suspect there's almost no chance of that, though. CBS is aiming for enough Star Trek series to cover an entire year -

Well, that just means we get five more seasons, but there are fewer episodes - you can do the arc, but would have to leave out filler. I'd be okay with that.

It looks like Lower Decks is getting 10 Episodes in its first season, and then 13 for Discovery wold meet their "23 weeks of new Trek" marketing. To make a full year, they'd need another 23 weeks of stuff. ST: SNW and Section 31 could fill the rest of the year.

I am not really enthused about Section 31, though.

MarkB

Legend
The trailers have hinted at the future Discovery lands in being less civilised, with the Federation no more than a memory, leaving a good set-up for this ship from the past being a powerful force in the new era, a bastion of lost technology and strength.

I really hope they don't go that way. If they're going to do the far-future thing, they should fully commit to what that would mean. Discovery should be an obsolete antique, maybe impressive in size, but not in much else. Its Spore drive may still be unique, but for regular warp travel it should handle like a 19th-century steamship trying to outpace and outmaneuver a modern-day warship, and not fare much better in terms of weapons and shields. Plus the crew should require months of work just to understand the basic principles of even the everyday technologies they encounter.

Mallus

Legend
Well, that just means we get five more seasons, but there are fewer episodes - you can do the arc, but would have to leave out filler. I'd be okay with that.
Me too. I hope CBS goes in that direction. I've read writing for season 4 has begun, so maybe they'll drop some hints about a longer arc? Admittedly, I was thinking of Netflix's strategy of cutting old shows/debuting new ones, but there's no reason for CBS to follow suit with their Star Trek series.

I am not really enthused about Section 31, though.
Me neither. I'd be happy if this gets ditched in favor of SNW and other concepts. I can't see how you make a Section 31 series work, especially after the events of DISCO S02 (which was enough S31 for me). But do keep Michelle Yeoh around as a floating guest star. Star Trek needs the occasional reminder it's not too good for fistfights and (space) camp.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I can't see how you make a Section 31 series work, especially after the events of DISCO S02 (which was enough S31 for me).

Even without that... I mean, Section 31 are the people who disregard ideals to get results. They are, by definition, a completely unethical organization. It is hard to see making them the protagonists of a series.

But do keep Michelle Yeoh around as a floating guest star.

The actress is great. The character of Mirror-Georgiou... I'm just not fond of.

MarkB

Legend
Even without that... I mean, Section 31 are the people who disregard ideals to get results. They are, by definition, a completely unethical organization. It is hard to see making them the protagonists of a series.
It is tricky, but I guess you could make something out of the tension between those who are willing to sacrifice their own ideals in order to preserve the idealism of the Federation, and those who would prefer to push the Federation as a whole away from that idealism and towards a more ruthless pragmatism.

Ultimately, though, the very existence of Section 31 undermines the concept of the Federation. If the idealistic society can only survive through the actions of people who have betrayed those ideals, does that mean that those values are worthless? More to the point, if we're not being allowed to see that society standing on its own strengths, isn't that an acknowledgement by the writers that they themselves have no faith in those strengths?

Remove ads