D&D (2024) what should the wizard's subclasses be?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
why would clerics be necromancers? I have never heard of that in fantasy?
I don't think this is particularly controversial.

Clerics can specialize in necrotic damage; there are Death and Grave domains; they have unique powers to control undead, and more than any other class they deal with the line between life and death. In AD&D Animate Dead was on both classes' spell lists. In 3.5 animate dead was a level 3 spell, level 4 for wizards; evil clerics could also rebuke or control undead.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I don't think this is particularly controversial.

Clerics can specialize in necrotic damage; there are Death and Grave domains; they have unique powers to control undead, and more than any other class they deal with the line between life and death. In AD&D Animate Dead was on both classes' spell lists. In 3.5 animate dead was a level 3 spell, level 4 for wizards; evil clerics could also rebuke or control undead.
death is the domain of killing and murder that is like saying a berserker is a necromancer.
grave is the anti-undead cleric it is about the sacred rites of burial.

ad&d has a lot of all evil behave similarly not a justification besides when I think fantasy ad&d is not my core go-to.

Scholar - Wizardest of the wizards. The magical nerd. Has widest selection of magic and expertise in knowledge skills. The classic Swiss army knife of spells.
dd8fa0231e7a8e2f2aa557fe626ff6fb.jpg

Battle Mage - Wizard who focuses on wielding magic as a weapon and is at home at battlefields. Can wear armour and has most powerful destructive spells.
3c09e0406f555ba14edb8e17868e3b1e--fantasy-story-fantasy-rpg.jpg

Necromancer - Master of death and shadow magic. Can drain and channel life force to self and others. Can summon undead minions.
Ventus-Geth-4Me4lssBs-b.jpg

Lore Raider - Magical adventurer who hunts ancient secrets and is no stranger to climbing, jumping and disarming traps.
9f4f3f6ed505d4d1a9c568294c98b56a.jpeg

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
death is the domain of killing and murder that is like saying a berserker is a necromancer.
grave is the anti-undead cleric it is about the sacred rites of burial.

ad&d has a lot of all evil behave similarly not a justification besides when I think fantasy ad&d is not my core go-to.
We're allowed to have different preferences. :D The game has room for us both!

My post indicated "What I would love to see".

Remove ads