D&D 5E What Spells are Going in Your Spellbook?

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I'm interested to know what spells people are planning on taking. Here's a few of the spells that impressed me.

Banishment: This spell isn't just for banishing outsiders anymore. It also lets you remove creatures from a fight entirely, and at a much lower level than maze. The creature doesn't even get to make checks or saving throws to get out. It also requires a Charisma saving throw to resist, which many creatures aren't very good at. Plus, if the target is an outsider and you concentrate on the spell for 1 minute, it stays banished.

Blindness/Deafness: At first glance, it might seem like an inferior alternative to hold person. However, this spell has two big things going for it that make me prefer it. First, it can affect any creature type, not just humanoids. Second, and most importantly, it doesn't require concentration! Blindness is a pretty nasty debuff, and being able to inflict it on your enemies without even needing to concentrate is pretty impressive.

Hypnotic Pattern: This spell is amazing. It affects all creatures within a 30 foot cube and makes them stand there incapacitated, unable to do anything but think about the pretty lights. The best part is that they don't get additional saving throws to break free. The spell does break on damage, but a little coordination with your fellow party members and you can pick them off one by one.

Slow: This spell has always been one of my favorites, and the 5e version doesn't disappoint. While other debuffs are far more debilitating than this spell, it affects up to six creatures, which is pretty impressive for a 3rd level spell. While it may not incapacitate or paralyze them, it really does ruin their day. They can't take reactions, have to choose between an action and bonus action, and can only make one attack - period. It also screws over spellcasters just as badly, they have a 50% chance of their spells taking 2 turns turn to cast. Ouch! Best of all, there's almost nothing in the game that's immune to this spell, making it a fine back-up option when hypnotic pattern won't work.

Last edited:

mcintma

First Post
Gotta agree on Hypnotic Pattern and Banishment (and must admit I had not noticed how nasty this is now - I'd just assumed it only worked on Outsiders! Nice catch!).

Blindness is saved by being non-Concentration as you state.

Slow ... while you may be right, I'm very leery of 'real-world' effectiveness of spells that allow saves every round, plus require Concentration. Confusion being in the same category, I think it's a better debuff? 80% chance of doing nothing?

I'm still going through the spell lists lately. Heck, I just noticed that the iconic spell Displacement is not in the PHB ;)

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Slow ... while you may be right, I'm very leery of 'real-world' effectiveness of spells that allow saves every round, plus require Concentration. Confusion being in the same category, I think it's a better debuff? 80% chance of doing nothing?

Most spells that debuff enemies require concentration and allow a saving throw every round. The nice thing about slow is that it affects six enemies at once, so the odds are pretty good that you're going to keep a few of them slowed, even if a couple break free. Slow also has the advantage of selective targeting. You can slow your enemies without risk of slowing your allies as well.

I'm still going through the spell lists lately. Heck, I just noticed that the iconic spell Displacement is not in the PHB ;)

Displacement was made obsolete by the new and improved blur, I think.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I'm a rope trick and tiny hut fan. When I play a wizard I always like to have an escape or rest contingency, and these spells work great for that.

Rilak

First Post
Blink It's not a concentration spell, and you pretty much have a 50% chance of being invincible at the end of each turn.
Mirror Image It's not a concentration spell. 3 duplicates that can not be affected by AoE spells.
Shield It's not a concentration spell, and saves your ass. CR1 mages can cast 3 MM at level 2. It can 100% knock a Wizard out. With a small probability, it can knock out your Cleric (10 dmg from 2 missiles) and Wizard (need to roll 3's for 8 dmg from 2 missiles). So prepare Shield :)
Sleep For the first few levels, later replaced by Hypnotic Pattern as it allows only a single save for the duration.

Classes that do not use books :)
Faerie Fire gives a saving throw, but it is still very good.
Armour of Agathys gogo melee spellcaster. Please, please little monster - hit me...
Hex obviously...
Hunter's Mark if you can't get Hex :)
Mass Healing Word It's only a level 3 slot. Mass Cure Wounds is level 5. It is odd that Bards only get MCW and not MHW though :(
Revivify - you save both money and downtime over Raise Dead (no death penalty)

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Same spells as I always take, but I don't have to break the damn game to get them now. Bards rock!

Cure Wounds and Mass Cure Wounds, Create Food and Water, Charm Person and Suggestion, Teleport, Heal and Mass Heal. Oh, and of course, Contingency and Reincarnate.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I like slow as well. The effect is so powerful that even a round or two can be a game changer for a battle. There are few spells that can cut opponent damage as substantially as slow.

DaveDash

Explorer
Some picks for a Wizard:

Shield.* If you're an abjurer pick this as your spell mastery spell at Level 18.
Mirror Image.
Misty Step.
Hold Person.
Magic Weapon (if no magic weapons in the group)
Scorching Ray.
Blink.* This combined with Mirror Image combined with Abjurer Wizard = extremely hard to kill Wizard.
Fireball.
Counterspell* This can be vital to have memorized.
Wall of Fire.
Banishment.* A lot of monsters in the game can be banished back to their home plane.
Arcane Eye.
Fire Shield (awesome against Red or White Dragons).
Bigbys Hand.* This is a fantastic spell with great utility, and used as a bonus action can increase a Wizards DPR significantly.
Wall of Force.* This spell is overpowered. Check with your DM about what can fit into a 20ft radius, we've ruled only large or smaller can fit inside.
Chain Lightning.
Disintegrate.
Force Cage.* Broken spell. Hefty material component price.
Etherealness. Great for bypassing threats or ambushing non-spell caster Dragons.
Foresight.* Incredible spell if cast on a Fighter with sharpshooter/great weapon master.

Rituals:
Detect Magic. You can basically have this on all the time between encounters and you should.
Find Familiar. Get an owl, annoy your DM.
Leomunds Tiny Hut. By RAW you can attack out of this with weapons. We've house ruled that in our game though.
Water breathing. Combined with Leomunds Tiny Hut this can be extremely annoying for the DM to hunt you down.

*Denotes a top pick spell from my list.

Last edited:

Remove ads