D&D (2024) What spells should be dropped?

mellored

Legend
Let's do a bit if spring cleaning. What spells should just be removed from the game?

Either because they are too niche, or overshadowed by other spells, or disrupt play too much, could just be an upcast version of another spell, the merged spell list made a duplicate, or some other reason.

Like removing conjure animals (8 stat blocks slows the game down way too much), and just keeping summon beasts. But what other ones?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Like removing conjure animals (8 stat blocks slows the game down way too much), and just keeping summon beasts. But what other ones?
Nooooo no no no no. You can literally just give them a single turn and action that is effectively a very targeted AoE. Simple general rules for controlled creatures in groups would compltely solve the problem.

I do think that some of the conjuring spells could be combined, though.

The restorations, as well.

Tbh I’d combine cure wounds and mass cure woulds and just say that at X spell level it can be an AoE heal.

Also revivify and raise dead and true resurrection.

I don’t honk I’d remove any spells. It’s not like we have a 3.5 spell list of aweful specificity.

doctorbadwolf

I'm not sure we need both.

Also, seems like rope trick should scale into magnificent mansion.
That’s an odd one. They only thing they have in common is an extra dimensional space.
Agreed. Ban it at your table if you want, I don’t need to interrupt rests to challenge the PCs, and when I do then it’s gonna be really fun, not just a wandering monster. Someone is gonna come along and dispel the hut.

doctorbadwolf

Pass without Trace. Or at least the ridiculous +10 to stealth. That's some 3E bonus right there. "What's bounded proficiency?" says WOTC.
Bounded accuracy never meant that nothing is ever going to exceed the normal band of numbers. It means that when something does it will stand out, because it’s supposed to.

I’d be okay with making it a ranger and/or rogue class feature, though. Lead the group in stealth.

Bounded accuracy never meant that nothing is ever going to exceed the normal band of numbers. It means that when something does it will stand out, because it’s supposed to.

I’d be okay with making it a ranger and/or rogue class feature, though. Lead the group in stealth.
The number is such that virtually nothing will detect them at that point. Why bother pretending the roll is relevant?

Remove ads