D&D 5E What the fragmentation of D&D canon means for MtG

It occurred to me that with the fragmentation of D&D canon, if MtG wanted to make AFR MtG canon later on they no longer need to merge the multiverses, they just make MtG Forgotten Realms (and Hell) seperate canon from all the other FR canons, they could stick this version of the setting in the Blind Eternities with places like Hell connected Realmspace/Toril like Nyx and the Underworld are connected to Theros or the 10+ Realms of Kaldheim are connected to each other.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
It occurred to me that with the fragmentation of D&D canon, if MtG wanted to make AFR MtG canon later on they no longer need to merge the multiverses, they just make MtG Forgotten Realms (and Hell) seperate canon from all the other FR canons, they could stick this version of the setting in the Blind Eternities with places like Hell connected Realmspace/Toril like Nyx and the Underworld are connected to Theros or the 10+ Realms of Kaldheim are connected to each other.

Uh .....

I think I finally understand what it feels like to read one of my threads.

Bolares

Hero
They could, but I doubt they would. Because it would mess up their own canon with things in FR that don't work in the MTG multiverse. They are making bank with the separate canons, so I doubt they would see a need to change.

Bolares

Hero
And changing FR to make it fit on MTG's canon would make it really similar do Dominaria, and they don't want that. AFR sells well because it is D&D in magic, making it less D&D would possibly make it less appealling

They could, but I doubt they would. Because it would mess up their own canon with things in FR that don't work in the MTG multiverse. They are making bank with the separate canons, so I doubt they would see a need to change.

Except if its a seperate canon for the MtG FR, then how it works could be different to 5e/4e/3e/2e/1e/novel/comics/video game FRs, more in line with other MtG settings, nothing in AFR actually violates anything in MtG, except maybe the Planeswalker cards and they can work around that easily enough (like making the D&D stuff a planar cluster with Planeswalkers who can move between them, but not between the Blind Eternities to places like Theros.

I think it’s obvious they want to reserve the option for themselves to make AFR canon in the future, hence why it doesn’t have the Universes Beyond label. I don’t think they have any immediate plans to do so, but of course they want to leave the option open.

If they do what do you think is the best way to do it?

And changing FR to make it fit on MTG's canon would make it really similar do Dominaria, and they don't want that. AFR sells well because it is D&D in magic, making it less D&D would possibly make it less appealling

I think it would still be very different for Dominaria in a lot of ways.

I guess now the canon is going to be very flexible. For example, a character could be renamed because in other country with a different language it sounds too close to an unpleased word. For example Kagami Tsurigi, from "Prodigious, the adventres of Ladybug and Cat-Noir" the name was changed into Agami in the Spanish-latin dubbing because Kagami sounds too close to certain verb about a dirty action in the bathroom. And I have used this because is an innocent example, but Hasbro could self-censure to can sell in other countries.

Hasbro could order a redesign of the cosmology of D&D multiverse to can add later "ideas and elements from outer sources". For example a fantasy mash-up M.A.S.K crossovering with Kaladesh.

* Now I remember kagonesti, the wild elves from Dragonlance, sounds a horrible name for Spanish-speakers. It sounds like a verb about a dirty action you do sitting in the toilet. Maybe the name should be changed in the Spanish-language editions.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases