D&D 5E What to do about Hypnotic Pattern?

Stalker0

Legend
The spell has the concentration descriptor - so it's concentration dependant.

As for how, well, even though it says "The pattern appears for a moment and vanishes." it's a minute duration so the caster has to concentrate maintain the effect.

yep, archers are your best bet. If the pattern gets the melee guys have the archers pelt the caster to try and break it, thats probably your best bet

Shiroiken

Legend
every. single. fight this group engages in is likely to feature hypnotic pattern.
Groups tend to focus on things they find particularly powerful. In my first game we had a half-elf red dragon sorceress. Once she got to 5th level, fireball began its long and glorious career. Starting about 9th level, at least 1 fireball appeared every encounter; often it was two. She tried to diversify, but found that upcasting fireball was generally better than most other choices (this was pre-XGtE). The only time I got a break from fireball was when they went into a volcano to face off against fire giants and a red dragon, and even then it made an occasional appearance (she could ignore Resistance, but not Immunity). This continued until level 18, when the campaign came to a close. As a DM you just kind of get used to it, because the focus may change to something else over time. My group is currently focused on Suggestion, Spirit Guardians, and Sickening Radiance.

"The spell ends for the affected creature if it takes any damage or if someone else uses an action to shake the creature out of its stupor." Reasonably intelligent enemies should always do this. If the bad guys are all acting on the same initiative count then the one guy who saves (or is outside the AoE) shakes guy #2, who then uses his action to shake guy#3, etc.

My bard uses this spell all the time. But unless I am using it on completely unintelligent enemies (or everyone fails their save) the effect rarely lasts more than one round. Action economy being what it is, shutting down the bad guys for one round is usually worth the spell slot, but the spell is hardly game-breaking.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
It's probably his favorite spell. I'd ask him and the other members first if they feel the fights have gotten too predictable.

If so, you could always introduce enemies in waves after the first Hypnotic Pattern goes off.

You said you spread your enemies out, but have you surrounded them?

I'd be wary of nerfing something that someone at the table seems to like, even if its for the sake of "balance."

Dausuul

Legend
In addition to everything above, don't forget the spell depends on vision. Enemies like grimlocks that rely on blindsight are immune.

But I might consider a nerf to the spell. Hypnotic pattern is just insanely overpowered for its level. I believe it's banned in AL, which says something.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
In addition to everything above, don't forget the spell depends on vision. Enemies like grimlocks that rely on blindsight are immune.

But I might consider a nerf to the spell. Hypnotic pattern is just insanely overpowered for its level. I believe it's banned in AL, which says something.

Really? It was in heavy use last year at Gen Con (at the AL adventures)?

But yes, it definitely allows parties to hit above their pay grade.

Adamant

Explorer
AL doesn't actually ban spells, the only ones they've done anything about were simulacrum and wish. Even then they just banned sim chains and limited wish to not lasting more than one session if you go outside the list.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases