D&D 5E What to do with players that always roll well

BabbageUK

Explorer
We've all been here and the real point is that it needs to be talked about, in the open, like adults. Something like the string of luck is a concern as it's causing real and noticeable imbalance, thus reducing the level of fun for everyone involved, and causing problems in trying to develop challenging encounters. Whatever the reasons for the luck is, it needs to be resolved. At this point you would just ask for suggestions on how to resolve it. If the answer is that nobody has noticed this (doubtful), then you don't actually have a problem. You might have perceived one, but your players have not. It might actually be cheating, but if your players aren't concerned then there's little reason to take it any further.

On a personal note I used to play in a D&D Second Edition game many years ago at a friend's house. He had a son (late teens) who joined us and in one session I saw his character sheet. Pretty much maximums across the board, including hit points. I raised this privately with the DM who, being a new DM, raised it with our mutual friend about his son's character. I got a call at work from this friend telling me I wasn't welcome any more (but in much more colourful language). I guess he didn't like the fact I had implied his son was a cheat. I can't help feeling I'm much better off now than I was then and yes, I'm still gaming - just with more reliable friends! :)

kalil

Explorer
No doubt about that. But in the hands of a cheat (as in the case KD was talking about), it's a problem. That's all.

It is a problem for everyone. You are not supposed to know the result of your roll before you declare your action. Rolling before your turn IS cheating. Big time. Even if you dont fudge the result.

It is a problem for everyone. You are not supposed to know the result of your roll before you declare your action. Rolling before your turn IS cheating. Big time. Even if you dont fudge the result.

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought we were talking about rolling the dice at the time you declare your action, but before your turn arrives (in AD&D-style/speed factor initiative). Obviously you can't use a roll that happened before your action was even declared.

kalil

Explorer
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought we were talking about rolling the dice at the time you declare your action, but before your turn arrives (in AD&D-style/speed factor initiative). Obviously you can't use a roll that happened before your action was even declared.

Tbh, I am more likely to have misunderstood :) Good thing we agree.

Zustiur

Explorer
It sounds to me like malformed dice or rolling method. It's my opinion that the way most people rill accounts for their good or bad luck. Make them cup their hands together, shake and roll a reasonable distance from a reasonable height. That way you eliminate the human factor add much as possible. Or use a dice cup.

Quartz

Hero
A method that doesn't involve expenditure would be to print off a couple of sheets of pre-rolled d20 rolls. The players choose two: one for the DM and one for them. Then mark off a random number on each.

Tell the player openly. You find his rolls suspiciously excellent; he rolls in a way, and using dice, that you struggle to read and which makes you feel uneasy about his luck. So say so. You might offend him, but you can probably avoid that by being appropriately diplomatic. But if he is a reasonable player who is not cheating, then likely he will be willing to change dice and method in order to resolve your suspicions.

Alternatively, you could ignore it. How much harm could it cause? Vague irritation for you? The most annoying thing in my game is a player who is so precious over his dice that he insists on instantly reclaiming them after they are used by someone else; irritating and vaguely rude in a passive-aggressive way, but I'm not sure that I gain much by trying to stop him from doing it. Perhaps you might take the same tack, just sigh and ignore it for the sake of an easy life :)

Remove ads