D&D 5E What to do with players that always roll well

It's the way we've always done it.

In the future I'm going to suggest using a stat array but that won't make any difference mid campaign, also my players may veto it as they like the random generation.

This is part of your problem. His stat rolls give him the equivalent of +10 in magic items over everyone else. So you can up the monsters, but they're just going to slaughter the group if they challenge him.

I'd say retire the character, and let him use another player's rolls to stat his new one. If they're good enough for someone else, they can be good enough for him.

I tend to use stat arrays, but did try something new in my current game I will carry forward. Everyone, myself included, rolled a set of stats, 4d6, drop lowest, IN ORDER. So Str was the first roll, Dex, the second, etc. No swapping scores, no taking points off one to add to another. Once everyone had a random stat array, anyone could choose to use it, or, if nothing fit the character you wanted to play, you could use the standard array.

This added randomness, but kept it fair even after the dice fell, since the entire party could have had the exact same stats if they wanted. We almost did, since one array had an 18 in both Str and Cha that was hard to pass up, but my wife went with a rogue at the last minute. At that point, since no one's stats are much worse than anyone else's (aside from their own choice), you can balance encounters appropriately.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Cast Raise Dead Spell (it's only been 7 days of the 10 day limit...and I did use a 500GP diamond...but it was consumed during the casting so you'll just have to take my word for it;)...)
[MENTION=223]Lord Vangarel[/MENTION]

I just read this story at Business Insider.

http://www.businessinsider.com/personality-test-predicts-dishonesty-2015-6

Along with the Big 5 personality traits (Extroversion, Agreeableness, Conscientiousness, Adaptability, and Emotional Stability...used by many employers for hiring screening), some researchers have quantified a sixth personality trait they call Honesty-Humility.

It can be tested with the HEXACO Personality Assessment here: http://hexaco.org/hexaco-online

During the research, they had participants roll a die after filling out the assessment and self-report the result. They were told that if they rolled a specific target number, they would be given €5.00. Those that scored the lowest on Honesty claimed to have rolled the target number 75% of the time, even though the statistical probability was only 17%.

I'd be interested to see where your problem player scores on this. Sometimes I wonder if screening players with a personality test may not be such a bad idea...:erm:

Remove ads