What to run when you are done with D&D?

Reynard

Legend
EDIT because it seems to be getting lost: I am talking about wanting to do the whole dungeon fantasy thing, but not with any version of D&D.

More specifically, what do you run when you are done with D&D specifically, but still want something "D&D like" -- dungeons, monsters, traps, treasure, etc...?

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
What in particular are you done with in D&D, and what answers did you discard already from the "Sell me on OSE" and "What edition for a Megadungeon Campaign? Why?" threads?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
When I feel a little burned out on D&D, I fire up a game of Skyrim...I'm a big fan of using Arthmoor's "Live Another Life" mod to select a new starting point in the game (because one can only endure that cart ride so many times).

EDIT: I mentioned Skyrim, but I've actually got a variety of CRPGs that I can go to. I own several gaming franchises: the entire Elder Scrolls series, all of the Dragon Age games, all of the Mass Effect games, all of the Baldur's Gate games...I'll pick one and play it until the burnout passes. CRPGs are a low-effort way to scratch the RPG itch, and inspire me to get back to writing my adventure for the weekend, maybe roll up a new character (or villain).

Because honestly? If I'm burned out on D&D, I'm burned out on all tabletop roleplaying games. A different one is only going to end up feeling like "D&D, but not." I need more of a change in format, not a change in game titles.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
What in particular are you done with in D&D, and what answers did you discard already from the "Sell me on OSE" and "What edition for a Megadungeon Campaign? Why?" threads?
Good question. I am obviously going through one of those exasperated anti-D&D phases where I am reaching for... something... and am not entirely sure what it is. It happens usually after maybe 18 months of D&D. last time I bought GURPS Dungeon Adventures and the time before that I bought Shadow of the Demon Lord, neither of which i could convince enough players to try.

I ran OD&D last night and it was fun but I can tell my player group is irked by the lack of crunchy player bits, so I don't think any old version or OSR game is going to be a solution.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases