What to run when you are done with D&D?

Staffan

Legend
Except I explicitly want those things I mentioned.

To expound since that was a bit terse: I want to run a dungeon fantasy game specifically. Not just a general fantasy campaign. But I am frustrated with 5e specifically and D&D broadly. That why my ask in the OP was for "D&D like" which may have thrown people.
To
Hmm. You might want to give Forbidden Lands a shot. It uses the engine from Mutant: Year Zero, but is fantasy-based and focused on exploring a region that's been unreachable until just recently because of Reasons. There's quite a bit of both hex-crawling, base-building, and dungeon exploration in it.

One thing it doesn't have is the explosive character growth of D&D. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find that outside of D&D and its variants (e.g. Pathfinder, 13th age).

Reynard

Legend
Hmm. You might want to give Forbidden Lands a shot. It uses the engine from Mutant: Year Zero, but is fantasy-based and focused on exploring a region that's been unreachable until just recently because of Reasons. There's quite a bit of both hex-crawling, base-building, and dungeon exploration in it.

One thing it doesn't have is the explosive character growth of D&D. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find that outside of D&D and its variants (e.g. Pathfinder, 13th age).
I love the YZ engine and own Forbidden lands. it has been on my list to try for a while but I was artly worried it might be too married to its specific setting.

Staffan

Legend
I love the YZ engine and own Forbidden lands. it has been on my list to try for a while but I was artly worried it might be too married to its specific setting.
The setting is, I think, pretty sparse and more of a "mood" (exploring a mostly uninhabited land and dealing with the perils there) than one having a bunch of specifics (specific cities, nations, and so on). I think the game (much like MYZ) has a built-in campaign, but I don't know how much into specifics that goes (since another player in my gaming group has expressed interest in running it).

TheSword

Legend
Give WFRP the Enemy Within or Ubersreik Adventures (I and II) a go and leave the endless combats a rest for a bit and immerse yourself in great characters and stories! Perfect antidote to D&D

Reynard

Legend
Give WFRP the Enemy Within or Ubersreik Adventures (I and II) a go and leave the endless combats a rest for a bit and immerse yourself in great characters and stories! Perfect antidote to D&D

I presume these are full of dungeon exploration?

TheSword

Legend
I presume these are full of dungeon exploration?
Nah, but it’s still good. Plus what’s a dungeon when it comes down to it, but a series of choices. 😜

In all seriously, if you’re set on dungeons, WFRP isn’t a great fit. It has some, but in general its far more NPC based. But it really is a great antidote to D&D For anyone else wanting an alternative for a bit.

Mezuka

Hero
Haven't played D&D for 2 years now. These are the games I GMed:

• Fantasy AGE. No setting, do want you want.
• Symbaroum. Rich setting. Post-cataclysm setting corrupted land.
• Shadow of the Demon Lord. Grimdark setting.

SotDL hit the right spot for me and my players. It's a modernized AD&D 1e mixed with Warhammer Fantasy.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...

My online group is about to dive into Forbidden Lands. Session zero is on thurs. I'll report back on how it goes.

Hex08

Hero
EDIT because it seems to be getting lost: I am talking about wanting to do the whole dungeon fantasy thing, but not with any version of D&D.

More specifically, what do you run when you are done with D&D specifically, but still want something "D&D like" -- dungeons, monsters, traps, treasure, etc...?
Well, I am done with D&D and occasionally run Castles and Crusades instead. It's certainly "D&D like" since it's part of the Old School Revival (OSR) but you might consider that a version of D&D (since it really is). Otherwise, I would recommend Savage Worlds. It easily works for a fantasy game and even has some excellent settings like Hellfrost, Shaintar and Lankhmar available.

Argyle King

Legend
EDIT because it seems to be getting lost: I am talking about wanting to do the whole dungeon fantasy thing, but not with any version of D&D.

More specifically, what do you run when you are done with D&D specifically, but still want something "D&D like" -- dungeons, monsters, traps, treasure, etc...?

Hope drastic of a departure from D&D mechanics are you open to learning/playing?

Remove ads