D&D General What tone do you prefer for D&D?

What Tone Do You Prefer For D&D

• Really Grimdark

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Gritty Realism

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Heroic Adventure

Votes: 91 65.5%
  • Paragons of Virtue

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Silly and/or Cutesy

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 12.2%

Reynard

Legend
I know this is a tough question, full of lots of wiggle room and interpretation, but I tried to create a poll with as many distinct tones as I could think of. So feel free to expound upon your vote with a comment.

Reynard

Legend
I myself prefer a heroic adventure vibe, whether or not the PCs are actually heroes. They should be able to pull off stuff that normal people can't, but morality should be a personal choice. Sometime a group of shining knights is fun, as is a bunch of bloodthirsty mercenaries, but generally speaking I'll take a middle of the road party.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I am a fan for the zero to hero model. I feel having that early campaign part being more realistic and gritty helps set the proper contrast for when they gain in power and become heroic. It's like that saying, you can't really appreciate something fully unless you know what it's like without it. Additionally, it provides different challenges from the start of the campaign to the end of it, where many problems are easily solved through magical means. It keeps the game from being the same thing over and over, IME, when the players have variation of problem solving challenges rather than "super power" for everything.

Oofta

Legend
I go for heroic adventure, but if we don't laugh on a pretty regular basis in a game it's highly unusual. I think you can have many humorous situations without it being silly.

I also like the zero to hero, sometimes I even go as far as starting the campaign out with PCs as kids who really are helpless.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I prefer tiers of play.
First normal
Then one of the best in the village
Then one of the best in the city
Then one of the best in the country
Then one of the best on the plane
Then one of the best on all planes
Heroic I think can be a scale OR a tone as two different things I think @Aebir-Toril hits on that very noticeably in contrast with your comment or not exactly but sort of.

Last edited:

Remove ads