D&D General What tone do you prefer for D&D?

What Tone Do You Prefer For D&D

• Really Grimdark

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Gritty Realism

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Heroic Adventure

Votes: 91 65.5%
  • Paragons of Virtue

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Silly and/or Cutesy

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 12.2%

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I change themes with every campaign. But every single one regardless of underlying theme is lighthearted and gonzo since that is what D&D is in my view. Even my most grimdark zero-to-hero hexcrawl megadungeon campaign is going to be hilarious.

Weiley31

Legend
Heroic Adventure with moments of comedy whether between the party or downtime and seriousness depending on the type of enemy/foe who is a big deal during the campaign.

Now if I'm fighting say like, Frost Zombie Giants, there are gonna be moments of horror, but it's still Heroic Adventure at the end of the day.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Scale and tone are two different things but can be connected.

My point is I prefer all of the tones. I like my level 1 grim horror, my level 10 heroic action, and my level 20 shonen anime.
Its like if your character is authentic Cu Cuchulain of heroic to epic scale they would also be a pile of grim story wise but huge grim.

I am a fan for the zero to hero model. I feel having that early campaign part being more realistic and gritty helps set the proper contrast for when they gain in power and become heroic. It's like that saying, you can't really appreciate something fully unless you know what it's like without it. Additionally, it provides different challenges from the start of the campaign to the end of it, where many problems are easily solved through magical means. It keeps the game from being the same thing over and over, IME, when the players have variation of problem solving challenges rather than "super power" for everything.
I'd probably be a bigger fan of this model if the dm's I play with don't immediately get disinterested the minute the pc's do anything heroic, and start talking about resetting to zero.

Zero to still zero is not fun for me.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I will say i think starting in the level range you like say i like 5 to 15 and double the time that we spend in those levels always seemed to be a good solution to tone change,

Reynard

Legend
I will say i think starting in the level range you like say i like 5 to 15 and double the time that we spend in those levels always seemed to be a good solution to tone change,
Tone isn't necessarily linked to power level. The Black Company is grimdark but they still deal with ridiculously high powered threats, while a bunch of first level clerics and paladins would still be Paragons of Virtue, chasing off goblins and rescuing minor nobles.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases