• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What was the best moment of Gen Con for you?

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Monte At Home said:
Best moment of GenCon?

It may sound a little corny, but it's true: the best moment for me was each and every time someone came up to me to shake my hand, introduce themselves and tell me about the fun they had with one of my products or something like that. It means the world to me that people get a kick out of something I've written, and that they would take the time during a busy convention like GenCon to hunt me down (not always easy) and tell me about it. That's really cool.

To everyone who did, it was great meeting you and talking with you, even if just for a moment.

I imagine that must be a great feeling. I know when I use one of your products I get the same feeling but would not want to walk up while you are busy at a con and state what to me is the obvious. :)

JollyDoc

Explorer
Joachim said:
When they announced that my team had won the RPGA Open. That and collecting all the loot from said win.

Amen brother! Our team, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, took first place out of 125 teams entered in teh Open (that roughly translates to 750 players). Even got to have the Sage himself come look in on our table a couple of times (after he had TPK'd another team). In addition to the beautiful maps, tons of minis, and First Place embossed Player's Handbook, our team will also be contributing to an upcoming Eberron source book! The whole experience totally rocked!

D&D Jeopardy, by Fat Llama Games, was also a hoot!

Check out JollyDoc's Shackled City in the Story Hour.

grodog

Hero
My favorite parts were probably meeting the many folks who stopped by the booth from ENWorld, the Necromancer/Pied Piper/Troll Lords/Acaeum/and other online forums :D

It was also great to meet Rob Kuntz face-to-face again after 17 years (we first met at DragonCon #1), and to meet Ryan "Destan" Smalley in person for the first time (and to find that he's just as nice in person as he is over the phone, by email, etc.)!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
For me, it was getting to meet some good friends from college again. Two or three guys from my old group there also go to GenCon annually, and that's the only time of the year I get to see them again. This year they brought some friends of theirs, who were also great people. I'm already looking forward to seeing them again next year.

Also, the Hades Pro people who run the anime room (no longer the only anime room). They are such a great bunch of guys; they give so much (quite often literally, as they give away hundreds of prizes, ranging from posters to RPG books to works of art) and ask for nothing in return, and are still very personable and easy to talk to. Those guys introduced me to anime back at GenCon '96, and I'll be eternally grateful to them for that.

And, as a guilty pleasure, seeing Con Kitty; that catgirl who actually paints herself orange with black stripes...I hope she didn't notice me ogling her every chance I got - though I wouldn't have stopped either way. :D

Last edited:

talinthas

First Post
For me, it was walking to the sovereign press booth and getting a hug from Weis and Hickman, and the whole dragonlance experience =) I love getting recognized by authors who saw my enworld badge and recognized my SN.

Also, hanging out and chatting with my pal Stan! and his buddies from the Game Mechanics was too cool. JD Wiker especially, telling me to pitch an idea i'd been tossing around to Chris Pramas, which i totally would have had Chris not been busy at the moment. an ego boost, let me tell ya.

Also, shaking Monte's hand, and being recognized by Sue. I'm a big fan of theirs (hers more than his, really, but thats cause of Dragonlance, and not a slight to him at all), and it was nice to chat with one of my heroes. (now i can say that I know Monte Cook, and be gazed upon with awe by my friends XD)

Also, I went around with a sketchbook that i started at my first Gen Con, and got a ton of folks in the art room and main hall to draw their versions of raistlin for me. it was amazingly cool. And then the cake topper was asking Aaron Williams for a small ps238 sketch and getting a giant poster sized image =)

All in all, a great con. I'm glad i got to hang out with my old friends from the wotc chat, and my new friends from here at enworld as well.

kenobi65

First Post
Iceman said:
Wow! I've got groupies. *blush*

Yup. Just count yourself lucky we don't follow you home, Vic. ;)

But, seriously, I've had the good fortune to have Vic as my LF Judge probably a dozen times now. Every time, it's a blast, and every time, Vic challenges me to be on the top of my game, and really be in touch with my PC's motivations. He brings out the best in the players he Judges for, and that's a rare thing.

I wanna be Vic when I grow up. :D

Mike Mistele
a.k.a. Ril Stendan, Corellian Scoundrel / Jewel's husband

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
I feel corny walking up to designers and talking about my game.

But then, it occurs to me I did with Matthew Sernett and Marc McKinnon. :eek:

Monte At Home said:
Best moment of GenCon?

It may sound a little corny, but it's true: the best moment for me was each and every time someone came up to me to shake my hand, introduce themselves and tell me about the fun they had with one of my products or something like that. It means the world to me that people get a kick out of something I've written, and that they would take the time during a busy convention like GenCon to hunt me down (not always easy) and tell me about it. That's really cool.

To everyone who did, it was great meeting you and talking with you, even if just for a moment.
Indeed, Monte-- I really appreciate you being so receptive to your fans. I had a great time being able to geek out and shake your hand. *nerdy grin*

Izerath

First Post
RPGA Open Win....of course!

JollyDoc said:
Amen brother! Our team, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, took first place out of 125 teams entered in teh Open (that roughly translates to 750 players). Even got to have the Sage himself come look in on our table a couple of times (after he had TPK'd another team). In addition to the beautiful maps, tons of minis, and First Place embossed Player's Handbook, our team will also be contributing to an upcoming Eberron source book! The whole experience totally rocked!

D&D Jeopardy, by Fat Llama Games, was also a hoot!

Check out JollyDoc's Shackled City in the Story Hour.

I can't even explain the joy of winning the RPGA Open after playing for 7 years and never even advancing to the semis once, mainly because we couldn't get the players to compliment our group of four. To meet JollyDoc and Joachim by chance and run away with the Open 1st prize was the thrill of a lifetime. It will be very hard to match that memory for years to come.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads