What will happen to 4th edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imaro

Legend
As someone who ran D&D for a while with the AD&D Monster Manual (because it came out first) alongside the OD&D booklets, then added the PHB (next printed) and, finally, the DMG (just before moving on from D&D altogether for a bit), it should be no surprise that I agree with @prosfilaes. AD&D was basically a dressed up OD&D (note - OD&D, not Basic).

Hmm, interesting... I wasn't born yet when OD&D was readily available and have never had a copy of the rules so I can't directly dispute this but I've seen people prefer AD&D to OD&D or OD&D to AD&D in some discussions I've read and thus assumed there had to be differences... along with the fact that many retro-clones make the distinction that they are based on one or the other. Apparently my assumption was wrong.

I don't think they were, no. They were created to "rectify" a range of perceived flaws in D&D, which naturally made them somewhat different, but I don't think merely making "something different from D&D" was a design aim for any of the early designers, though I may be wrong as I haven't quizzed them on this.

I feel like this is playing semantic games... they were built specifically to do things differently than D&D... thus my point still stands, their "innovations" were to be "not D&D" in various ways...

I think the point about "innovation" may be slightly misdescribed. I don't see that D&D has ever been particularly innovative in the sense of "adding something new to the whole field of roleplaying" since it was first published. What it has tended to do, however, is follow on and imbibe new developments that have been added in other games and are seen by the designers of D&D's next edition as "improvements". Oftentimes, these new elements had been in use as "house rules" for D&D before they were added to an official edition. In this sense, D&D was "furthering innovation" since it was introducing its (relatively) massive audience to cool new stuff that had been developed in the wide hinterlands of roleplaying.

I think I mostly agree with this...

I think what 4E tried to do in this respect was add aspects of Narrativism/Storygaming to D&D. Sadly, it seems that (as Ron Edwards initially suspected) the audience for D&D was really not the one that was increasingly enjoying such systems. The new innovations in RPG rules that were, as usual, coming from other, newer games on the market were all of a sudden a "step too far" into modernity for the (increasingly crusty and old) players of D&D. As a result, while I'm sure 5E has some neat mechanical widgets that afficionadoes love, it really hasn't got any innovations included in it from the rest of the RPG market of recent years.

I *think* that is probably what @AbdulAlhazred was getting at with his remarks about innovation.
@billd91 addresses this quite well IMO, but to add on to what he says... I think one of the greatest flaws of the community around 4e was the inability to accept that for some/many/a majority 4e wasn't more fun or even equal in fun to other editions of D&D and/or other games. This attitude that it was marketing, or adventures or a late-edition switch to new corebooks, or... well anything but the game is a little weird at this point. The game wasn't enough fun to capture a large enough marketshare (young and old)over it's run is one of the simplest answers to it being cut short and put away... and yet it's rarely if ever looked at by 4e fans as a legitimate reason to discuss, address, or try to understand.

EDIT: To add to my final paragraph, I think there's a reason none of Ron Edward's games have sold anywhere near the number D&D has... and I think maybe instead of chalking it up to "Old grognards stuck in their ways" he should have maybe examined what the majority of people find fun in running and playing rpg's (and especially in D&D)... I (and I think most people) don't play a game just because it has the new shiny, I play it because it's fun and if the new shiny isn't adding to that or is in fact actively taking away from it I'm not going to play it... just a thought.

Last edited:

prosfilaes

Adventurer
What I would be more interested in is how much have those games you listed "innovated" since their first edition was created? That, IMO, would be a more fair and accurate comparison...

But that's not what I'm claiming. The question is, why, if someone is concerned about innovation, did they play D&D for 30 years? How can they complain about innovation in the industry when they were part of the problem?

prosfilaes

Adventurer
I think what 4E tried to do in this respect was add aspects of Narrativism/Storygaming to D&D.

I've played a lot of Primetime Adventures, and a number of other story games. I never got that vibe from D&D 4; in fact, I've never felt as railroaded and less encouraged to narrate as in my last D&D 4 game. As someone who really likes those systems, I think the fact that I never saw the elements in D&D 4 puts the lie to the claim that it's all about people who didn't like those elements was the reason for D&D 4's downfall.

Hmm, interesting... I wasn't born yet when OD&D was readily available and have never had a copy of the rules so I can't directly dispute this but I've seen people prefer AD&D to OD&D or OD&D to AD&D in some discussions I've read and thus assumed there had to be differences... along with the fact that many retro-clones make the distinction that they are based on one or the other. Apparently my assumption was wrong.
Not wrong per-se. If you go over to rpg.net and find a thread that 'oldtimer' is in and say "nyaahhhhh 1e is just polished OD&D" you'll (after getting him banned when he tells you what he thinks of people that want to make him play AD&D) that indeed they are totally different games and he just loves the original game etc. HOWEVER, this guy played with Gary and all his buddies on a regular basis. The game he's talking about is basically not the same thing that people today know about. The game that people like me played, with Greyhawk, Blackmoor, etc and filtered through the lens of DMs and other players that just read the books, was a game very much like AD&D, just less polished and maybe a bit more 'wonky'. In its essence it was the same thing, though there is certainly a list of specific rules changes.

I feel like this is playing semantic games... they were built specifically to do things differently than D&D... thus my point still stands, their "innovations" were to be "not D&D" in various ways...
Well, perhaps, but these games brought truly different game play and very different rules, flavor, tone, etc. So you HAVE to call them really innovative. Traveller for instance is in some ways clearly something that Marc Miller wrote after he sat down and played D&D and decided he wanted to have an SF game and didn't like XY and Z about the way D&D worked. So its PARTLY a reaction, and partly just plain innovation and then he built a skill system, maybe the first one, I'm not sure, which is pretty innovative for the time period.

The interesting thing to observe is that D&D really didn't react much. It didn't absorb much of anything from other games. They kind if inched towards a skill system, but it wasn't until 2001, 24 years after Traveller, that it became a significant part of the game, and it was 1989 before it was even an optional rule in a core book.

@billd91 addresses this quite well IMO, but to add on to what he says... I think one of the greatest flaws of the community around 4e was the inability to accept that for some/many/a majority 4e wasn't more fun or even equal in fun to other editions of D&D and/or other games. This attitude that it was marketing, or adventures or a late-edition switch to new corebooks, or... well anything but the game is a little weird at this point. The game wasn't enough fun to capture a large enough marketshare (young and old)over it's run is one of the simplest answers to it being cut short and put away... and yet it's rarely if ever looked at by 4e fans as a legitimate reason to discuss, address, or try to understand.

Not all of us need be tarred with this wide brush. And I don't think 4e needed to be so unacceptable. I think the material that it came with wasn't great and it hurt a lot. I tend to think they could have stepped out a bit less far in some directions too. I think there's a '4e' that would have given a bit more service to the past and still done what I wanted. For instance I never understood why so many of the old classic 4e wizard and cleric spells don't show up as 4e spells. I mean they're generally THERE in some form, but they could have been there in much closer to the familiar form, the game could have been 18-20 levels instead of 30, and a few other things that just would have allowed it to feel more like D&D without really giving up what made it uniquely 4e. I guess the reason I mention that is WotC gave up the chance to do that with 5e entirely, and I really am not happy about that!

EDIT: To add to my final paragraph, I think there's a reason none of Ron Edward's games have sold anywhere near the number D&D has... and I think maybe instead of chalking it up to "Old grognards stuck in their ways" he should have maybe examined what the majority of people find fun in running and playing rpg's (and especially in D&D)... I (and I think most people) don't play a game just because it has the new shiny, I play it because it's fun and if the new shiny isn't adding to that or is in fact actively taking away from it I'm not going to play it... just a thought.

I think Ron Edwards just isn't that good a game designer. I mean I don't want to insult him or anything particularly but there are theorists and there are practical doers. Ron has a theory about what people want, but apparently his games aren't it, either because the theory is wrong or because he hasn't executed well enough. Most of what makes a game popular has to do with its 'ouvre', the feelings and ideas it evokes and not any sort of high concepts. If that weren't so OD&D would have bombed because it was objectively a terrible game, but it evoked something powerful. I cannot to this day forget sitting in a tent with a Coleman lantern at a little wooden table with my friends while we delved into our first dungeon.

But that's not what I'm claiming. The question is, why, if someone is concerned about innovation, did they play D&D for 30 years? How can they complain about innovation in the industry when they were part of the problem?

I think you miss something here. D&D is more than just the particular rules of a given edition. Its a culture and a mind space. There are MANY reasons to play D&D in particular and not GURPS or Savage Worlds, or WHFRP. Playing other RPGs is not the same thing as playing D&D, even if that D&D is 4e and has a somewhat different style than OD&D did. Equally when I play SF RPGs I usually just find myself playing Traveller because it again captures a certain type of game play that I like. At the same time I'm happy to play using more modern rules (though honestly, Traveller is probably the least innovative game in existence at this point).

I've played a lot of Primetime Adventures, and a number of other story games. I never got that vibe from D&D 4; in fact, I've never felt as railroaded and less encouraged to narrate as in my last D&D 4 game. As someone who really likes those systems, I think the fact that I never saw the elements in D&D 4 puts the lie to the claim that it's all about people who didn't like those elements was the reason for D&D 4's downfall.

I don't think it is really on the same lines as a PA or something. OTOH there's a certain spin to things in 4e that can be very narrative and encourage you to play to character. I suspect most of the people coming to 4e from 3e didn't see that and didn't exploit it or understand it, but 4e is very light in terms of telling you how to do stuff, but has a really pretty good scaffold for lots of things. If you delete powers from 4e its almost a pretty interesting lightweight game already that caters to using your character's shtick (his skills) to guide him through his adventures.

I think what people didn't like was the lack of process simulationist elements that are in 3.x I had some players in 4e that had a HARD time getting out of their 3.x RP ruts. They wanted a skill check for everything they did and by god they wanted it to be in the exact skill with microscopic granularity! It was some real re-educating to get them to figure out HOW to play 4e (at least my way of running it).

The real problem, and I keep saying it, was the lack of WotC understanding or seemingly caring about the type of material that went with the rules. The adventures were horrible. Many of them would have been forgettable written for 3e or 2e, like H1, but in the context of an action-adventure game like 4e they were HORRIBLE CRAP. Of course people were turned off by that! Even if they would have had a thrill and loved some wild swinging-on-vines-and-jumping-off-cliffs hardcore adventure they weren't even going to glimpse the possibility in the midst of H1. Who can blame them for slogging through rooms for weeks and then throwing up their hands when they came to H2 and it wasn't really any better?

Its as if you wrote Call of Cthulhu and then made your adventure B2. Its a good game. Its a 'good' adventure. Its a horrible combination. Faced with that you have to call SOMETHING bad.

Imaro

Legend

Ah, my bad I totally missed your point...

Hussar

Legend
[MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] ... I just want to clarify what we mean by innovation. Are we speaking "innovation" as in something new to D&D or "innovation" as in something totally new to the entire hobby?? Because honestly I think it's kind of unfair to speak to innovation in the sense of the hobby when the reaction that inspired most of that (especially early on) was to be "not like D&D" in some way. So D&D's innovation was creating the hobby and having their game serve as the "baseline" game...

Well again it's hard to be a leader of "innovation" when said "innovation" arises for the most part in order for games to be... "not like you", since you were first. It seems to put you in the position of "innovating" and creating a game that is "not like D&D" or sticking with your base formula and revising, refining, etc. that.

Innovation to me, is something new to the hobby. If you're just incorporating existing elements into your game, that's not innovation to me. And I agree, D&D is probably the least innovative game out there. Virtually nothing in D&D wasn't percolating around in the peripheries of the hobby for years before being incorporated into D&D.

What actions in 4e broke the initiative order and were not reactions to something. I'm trying to remember some and am drawing a blank, all the out of turn actions I remember were a reaction to a specific situation...

As far as not breaking initiative order, there are all sorts of powers. Heck, my current character can add a d4+1 as an encounter power to any D20 roll at any time. Skill, save or attack, doesn't matter. I get to bump it by a d4+1. I suppose you could argue that's a reaction to someone rolling the die, but, that's splitting hairs pretty fine. Again, using my warlock, he teleports any time one of his cursed targets dies. So, you attack someone, it dies and I get to move 5 squares. Again, out of turn action, although, that one isn't proactive I suppose. Many of the warlord buff powers function actively - an ally attempts to do X, so, you buff the action on his turn. Or, conversely, I grant actions to allies on my turn. 1st level Warlord at-will, Wolf Pack Tactics, I attack and an ally gets to shift 5 feet. The artificer in the group has Spell Tracer - when he attacks a target with the power, any caster in the group gets to make an attack at the same target. Again, pro-active off turn actions.

The entire group of Leader classes does this all the time.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I think you miss something here. D&D is more than just the particular rules of a given edition. Its a culture and a mind space. There are MANY reasons to play D&D in particular and not GURPS or Savage Worlds, or WHFRP. Playing other RPGs is not the same thing as playing D&D, even if that D&D is 4e and has a somewhat different style than OD&D did. Equally when I play SF RPGs I usually just find myself playing Traveller because it again captures a certain type of game play that I like. At the same time I'm happy to play using more modern rules (though honestly, Traveller is probably the least innovative game in existence at this point).

That's a good point about the "culture and mind space." It's also true of any RPG. When someone wants to play D&D they want to play D&D, and not Vampire or GURPS or Ars Magica, and they have expectations of the type of experience they will get. So when you want to innovate it's important that the game with innovations still meet the expectations of play. That's where 4E ran into trouble. It wasn't that players don't like innovation, it's just that for many of them the innovations caused 4E to no longer meet their expectations of a D&D experience. "4E doesn't feel like D&D to me" was the biggest complaint I heard from those who didn't like the game. So innovations is good, innovation that takes the game away from the expected/desired experience is bad. The hard part is that everyone has a slightly different take on "what is D&D?" Any innovation will make some people happy and displease others. A good innovation will maximize the former and minimize the latter.

Imaro

Legend
Innovation to me, is something new to the hobby. If you're just incorporating existing elements into your game, that's not innovation to me. And I agree, D&D is probably the least innovative game out there. Virtually nothing in D&D wasn't percolating around in the peripheries of the hobby for years before being incorporated into D&D.

What games do innovate editions on a regular basis like this? Seriously, most established games don't "innovate" in the way you are talking about unless they are published by a new company and then it's more a reworking or re-invention of the game.

As far as not breaking initiative order, there are all sorts of powers. Heck, my current character can add a d4+1 as an encounter power to any D20 roll at any time. Skill, save or attack, doesn't matter. I get to bump it by a d4+1. I suppose you could argue that's a reaction to someone rolling the die, but, that's splitting hairs pretty fine. Again, using my warlock, he teleports any time one of his cursed targets dies. So, you attack someone, it dies and I get to move 5 squares. Again, out of turn action, although, that one isn't proactive I suppose. Many of the warlord buff powers function actively - an ally attempts to do X, so, you buff the action on his turn. Or, conversely, I grant actions to allies on my turn. 1st level Warlord at-will, Wolf Pack Tactics, I attack and an ally gets to shift 5 feet. The artificer in the group has Spell Tracer - when he attacks a target with the power, any caster in the group gets to make an attack at the same target. Again, pro-active off turn actions.

The entire group of Leader classes does this all the time.

These seem to be reactive or reflexive (based off another action happening in order to use) off turn actions in nature, which various games have done before D&D 4e...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads