D&D Movie/TV What would a good D&D movie be like?

delericho

Legend
or killing it by attempting something that has failed...what is it...three times now? What is that definition for insanity? Trying something again and again and again and expecting different results.

There were a lot of things wrong with the existing D&D movies. Not featuring 'name' characters is so far down the list as to be irrelevant.

As long as they don't let Courtney Solomon anywhere near this new film, I'm sure they'll be fine. I mean, letting him serve as, say, Producer - now that would be insane...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
or killing it by attempting something that has failed...what is it...three times now? What is that definition for insanity? Trying something again and again and again and expecting different results.

Post hoc ergo Procter hoc?
picard_facepalm_xlarge.jpeg

The D&D film franchise- and I use the term VERY loosely- has failed thus far NOT because they contain so few references to touchstones familiar to the gamers, but because of terribad acting and horridiculous scriptwriting combined with an obvious lack of spending money wisely. The Dark Triad of bad filmmaking.

Those films were irredeemably bad- worthy only of the MST3K treatment.

I wouldn't be surprised to find a class-action lawsuit filed a few years from now got all the names involved removed from the projects, so that "Alan Smithee" will add to his screenwriting, acting, directorial, best boy, gaffer, lighting, and food service credits.

Last edited:

transtemporal

Explorer
You can't put drow on the big screen, at least not right now. It would be too "triggering" regarding racism and sexism.

Lol, I'm struggling to think what you could be referring to. Drow aren't like any racial group on earth. We aren't unlikely to equate them with any culture on earth either.

They're matriarchal for a start.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Having an established story that has proven itself by building a fan base is better than taking a shot at some crap fantasy.

If and only if those charged with writing the screenplay, casting the film, and doing the acting do a good job. Otherwise, the movie will flop even though it has an established fanbase in the underlying IP.

The annals of Hollywood history are chock full of films based on popular works that are utter wastes of celluloid.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Post hoc ergo Procter hoc?
View attachment 69689

The D&D film franchise- and I use the term VERY loosely- has failed thus far NOT because they contain so few references to touchstones familiar to the gamers, but because of terribad acting and horridiculous scriptwriting combined with an obvious lack of spending money wisely. The Dark Triad of bad filmmaking.

Those films were irredeemably bad- worthy only of the MST3K treatment.

And what would change absent a fictional work to base a D&D movie on? You think someone will magically come up with something interesting based on D&D strictly for a film? Why do think they will? Why do you think it will attract acting talent worth anything? Jeremy Irons was in the first movie. He's usually quite good. I'm wondering why you think some mega-producer would sign on to film a D&D movie with no fictional backbone to work with?

Nearly every single successful fantasy work has been built from a book...or I guess a myth if you include Hercules: The Legendary Journey. Explain why you think some work with no fan base based on the D&D game is going to do well?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
If and only if those charged with writing the screenplay, casting the film, and doing the acting do a good job. Otherwise, the movie will flop even though it has an established fanbase in the underlying IP.

And a film with good acting, casting, and writing could flop if no one has any idea what it is.

Let's make a gentleman's bet. I'm betting you that if D&D decides to make something up, it will fail regardless of the other parts. If they use an established property like Drizz't, they will succeed even if the other parts are weak. As in you have far more room to have a weak opening using a book with an established fan base outside of D&D than you do some made up work based on the game.

And yet every top movie list is filled with films based on popular works be it The Godfather, The Shawshank Redemption. and Lord of the Rings.

D&D has not proven successful making something up. Why not go with one of their proven properties? Because you don't like them?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases