D&D (2024) What would change for you if Wizards started calling it 6E?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea, your guess is as good as mine. It does not really matter to me, so I do not spend much time trying to figure this out. If you want an answer, I expect somewhere around 50/50 or 60/40 in favor of 2024, but that can easily be wrong.

I also do not see how this is at all relevant to the discussion we are having (outside of all this being moot if 100% picked 2014 or 2024).
if it;s a 60/40 or 50/50 split how is that not the same divide there would be if it was an edition change?

mamba

Legend
if it;s a 60/40 or 50/50 split how is that not the same divide there would be if it was an edition change?
Why does the percentage of the divide matter for this? What makes it an edition change is that it is not compatible with what came before and if you make the switch, then you cannot use the old material and vice versa. This is not the case, hence no edition change.

Why does the percentage of the divide matter for this? What makes it an edition change is that it is not compatible with what came before and if you make the switch, then you cannot use the old material and vice versa. This is not the case, hence no edition change.
I agree with the first half... the amount of who changes isn't a issue... the split is.
again so far all we have seen or heard is adventure back compatible, so I still don't see how this "if you don't switch" new stuff will support the old on any player facing content

mamba

Legend
I agree with the first half... the amount of who changes isn't a issue... the split is.
again so far all we have seen or heard is adventure back compatible, so I still don't see how this "if you don't switch" new stuff will support the old on any player facing content
I am with you, the next Xanathar will be for the 2024 version, there won't be subclasses for the 2014 version.

I do not see a problem here. Players can pick any Warlock subclass from any supplement. Why does it matter that the new ones will be built more along the 2024 lines?

If they released the same changes in a book that is not called PHB, would that make a difference to you / still be 5e?

I am with you, the next Xanathar will be for the 2024 version, there won't be subclasses for the 2014 version.
that is the same line for editions... 1e/2e and 3e/3.5
I do not see a problem here. Players can pick any Warlock subclass from any supplement. Why does it matter that the new ones will be built more along the 2024 lines?
becuse the 2014 no longer is supported going forward
If they released the same changes in a book that is not called PHB, would that make a difference to you / still be 5e?
if they keep it as optional it's fine, when they say all future books will use the new stuff that tells me there is a break

mamba

Legend
that is the same line for editions... 1e/2e and 3e/3.5
maybe, I do not consider this relevant. It was a marketing decision then, it is one now.

becuse the 2014 no longer is supported going forward
they can be used in all new adventures, that is support. If WotC would not release any new subclasses at all, only settings, monster manuals and adventures, would that mean 5e is no longer supported?

if they keep it as optional it's fine, when they say all future books will use the new stuff that tells me there is a break
it is optional, all future books do not use the new stuff. Adventures etc. will be independent of this. The only thing you are really talking about at that point are additional subclass options. Yes, those will look more like the 2024 subclasses.

At least I now understand where you are coming from. To me new subclasses in the 2014 'format' are not the deciding factor, so to me this is not an edition change.

Last edited:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
This is the best example of why I think it’s a new edition in late 80s early 90s I got the 2e PHB and we had to teach ourselves how to play. It was 94ish before I met anyone who had played 1e. However once I did I found many of them that brought over ideas and concepts (the assassin the monk and the half orc) you know what none of them ever did. None of them handed me a 1e PHB and said “just use this” they all had their own house rule/homebrew version of 2e monk.
3e brought back monk and half orc and introduced assassin as a prestige class. However then the thing I started to hear about was 1e rangers had arcane and divine spells.
It was around the 2nd ish year of 3e that I even saw a 1e PHB. And when I read it I understood why no one just ported monk or half orc 1 for 1.
I also had friends I made at con’s who during 3e era still played 1e. Some of them took ideas from 2e and even 3e into 1 e but none just took pages right out of either PHB and handed those out as “use this”
Anecdotally, my groups and I played 1e before 2e was published. When 2e came out we mixed the editions, using from 1e what was missing in 2e.
Looking at the playtest I see the same thing. There WILL be people who cross them but over time it will be less and less. By 2026 I have no doubt that talking on here about pact magic will be relocated to “legacy gaming” not “current gaming”
Oh, I'm sure that playing with the 2014 will phase out at some point. I can't make predictions on how the forums will be, though.

Now some people want to play word games and say that isn’t an editon change but a rose by any other name still smells like a rose.
Jeremy Crawford said that the revised core will be a "new editions of the books", but not a "new edition of the game". I'm entirely sympathetic because I assume WotC doesn't want to use "edition" because, under their stewardship, they have previously poisoned the word to mean an "entirely new game system". So, yeah, going by that, no, it's not a new edition—this isn't a new system, it'd an revision and iteration of the existing one.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
because the 2014 no longer is supported going forward
What "support" do you need? More "stuff" for your 2014 Warlock? The current amount of "stuff" for the 2014E Warlock is not enough for you? You can't make any more 2014E Warlocks because you've run through everything?

Well then... maybe you just need to make up your own "stuff" then. Create some more "stuff" with your DM so that you both are good with the new "stuff" your 2014E Warlock can use. Or just take some of the "stuff" from the 2024E Warlock and a few minutes of time to nudge it so that the 2014E Warlock can also use it.

But yes... whatever it ends up being... you will indeed have to do this yourself. You won't have WotC doing any of this for you going forward anymore. But that's just what happens when new rules are created. The rules creators no longer create stuff for the old stuff and if anyone wants to keep playing the old stuff, they just have to do the work themselves. Or at least in this internet-age... scour the internet for other people who have done the work for you to create new old stuff and you can just use that.

The game is moving on from the 2014E Warlock. Like it or not. So while it's fine to spend all your time bemoaning this fact and hoping against hope that WotC won't move on (which-- spoiler alert-- is not going to happen, they most definitely are moving to the 2024E Warlock)... your time might better be suited starting to work out for yourself just how much "support" you think a 2014E Warlock might need in a 2024E game and put your energy towards creating that stuff instead.

The biggest change for me if they called it 6E would be that I’d wait till the books were out, and then read reviews to see if I wanted to update to the new edition. The way it is I’ll be getting the PHB and MM upon release. (and will wait for the DMG to come up before deciding)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
What "support" do you need? More "stuff" for your 2014 Warlock? The current amount of "stuff" for the 2014E Warlock is not enough for you? You can't make any more 2014E Warlocks because you've run through everything?

Well then... maybe you just need to make up your own "stuff" then. Create some more "stuff" with your DM so that you both are good with the new "stuff" your 2014E Warlock can use. Or just take some of the "stuff" from the 2024E Warlock and a few minutes of time to nudge it so that the 2014E Warlock can also use it.

But yes... whatever it ends up being... you will indeed have to do this yourself. You won't have WotC doing any of this for you going forward anymore. But that's just what happens when new rules are created. The rules creators no longer create stuff for the old stuff and if anyone wants to keep playing the old stuff, they just have to do the work themselves. Or at least in this internet-age... scour the internet for other people who have done the work for you to create new old stuff and you can just use that.

The game is moving on from the 2014E Warlock. Like it or not. So while it's fine to spend all your time bemoaning this fact and hoping against hope that WotC won't move on (which-- spoiler alert-- is not going to happen, they most definitely are moving to the 2024E Warlock)... your time might better be suited starting to work out for yourself just how much "support" you think a 2014E Warlock might need in a 2024E game and put your energy towards creating that stuff instead.
But they're not moving on from the 2014 warlock. They've sworn up and down that you can keep using it. If they had faith in their designs and weren't so convinced people would stop buying their products, the new books would actually replace the old ones, if they really thought they were better. Or they would create a new class with a similar theme to the warlock, put it in a new book full of new classes that do the same thing with the other PH material, and release it as a new starting point for 5e that you can use as an alternative to the PH.

Something like a "5e Essentials".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads