• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What would change for you if Wizards started calling it 6E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
...isssss it though???
History shows that WotC can change things enough to turn people off (4E), but with these revisions they ate bending over backwards to avoid a break.

Bit, yeah, a decisive break would be bad for 3rd parties.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'm not going to say you are wrong, but 6E would definitely have to really break away from 5E to get a Pathfinder-esque movement against it.

I am curious as to the amount of people who have "rebranding to a new edition" as a dealbreaker for them.
Me too. I really wish they would break away from 5e, but I might as well wish that money decisions weren't always the highest priority. Neither is likely to happen.

Remathilis

Legend
I'm not going to say you are wrong, but 6E would definitely have to really break away from 5E to get a Pathfinder-esque movement against it.

I am curious as to the amount of people who have "rebranding to a new edition" as a dealbreaker for them.
I had to laugh at Kobold Press's attempt to call itself the legitimate heir to Fifth Edition when BF/TotV is making as many if not more changes to 5e as One D&D is. (Mostly out of necessity from the incompleteness of the 5e SRD, but they aren't being shy about changing the rules they do have access to). I could see someone who would switch because they don't like WotC or the choices they are making, but anyone who tried to argue Tales of the Valiant is more akin to 5e than One D&D is would be laughed out of the room by me.

mamba

Legend
I really disagree. For one thing, there are plenty of 3pp that are their own 5e-related game. Level Up is an example. They don't need WotC and their shenanigans at all.
agreed, but if they create their own system anyway, then I am not sure the 5e vs 6e distinction you are looking for applies to them in the first place

Secondly, your assumption that everyone will blindly follow WotC whereever they go is unproven, and is instead I suspect based on your own feelings. If 6e comes out some people will go along and others will stick with 5e in one of its many forms, and you can't logically assume that an entire industry would collapse if WotC stopped making 5e. You give them far too much credit.
not sure, unless 6e is a dud like 4e and does not allow OGL / CC 3pps, just like 4e, I’d say there is a pretty good chance the market follows WotC. It seems to have done so in the past (or ceased to exist altogether)

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for WotC to be taken down a notch in importance, I just don’t think they have been

I really disagree. For one thing, there are plenty of 3pp that are their own 5e-related game. Level Up is an example.
I own level and have played level up. It is 5e compatible. It is likely less compatible than the ‘24 update.

However, the important part is that it benefits from being 5e compatible because D&D is 5e.

If D&D goes to 6e, people who know 6e (and that would likely be the vast majority of D&D players) will never pick up LevelUp because it is not 6e compatible (whether that is true or not).
Secondly, your assumption that everyone will blindly follow WotC whereever they go is unproven…
I’ve never assumed they would blindly go anywhere and would prefer you don’t make assumptions - just ask.

…and is instead I suspect based on your own feelings.
I’m not sure what feelings you’re talking about. My comment was based on my rational opinion of something I think could happen. If there is any feeling involved it would be the fear that the move to 6e would be bad for the 5e 3PP community that is the best part of 5e IMO.
If 6e comes out some people will go along and others will stick with 5e in one of its many forms, and you can't logically assume that an entire industry would collapse if WotC stopped making 5e. You give them far too much credit.
First, I never said the market would collapse, just that it would be bad (disaster to be specific) for 3PP. I do wish you would stop making assumptions/ putting words in my mouth.

Also, I’m not talking about some theoretical 6e that is a completely different game. I’m talking about calling a game that is just as much 5e as anything from 3PP or even WotC and calling that 6e. I just can’t see how that would be good for anyone.

Last edited:

Yes, because if they did it now, they would be lying about their intentions now, or were lying then.

That said, I still wish they would, because I want a clean break for 3pp to use.
I'm not sure all 3rd parties want what you want. To be honest, I think they want their own CC 5E-compatible clones to benefit from that backward compatibility, which keeps their classic 5E content as relevant purchases as well. It is absolutely best for all parties who still want to be on the 5E-compatible money train. Level Up and ToV will be as compatible with the 2014+ rulebooks as the 2024 rulebooks will be. New D&D (2024) players will eventually learn about how Level Up and ToV content will be compatible with their rulebooks as well, and open the market more to them and even more 3rd party publishers. Future campaigns from any of these designers can be played with the different 5E-compatible rulesets. I think we're looking at a potential Golden Age for RPG designers/writers to get their work seen. The Community has spoken that they want to see the flowers that bloom and want to support great creations. When these designers get seen, and celebrated, they get fans, and if they want to create something amazing and new, they can have a fan base that will check it out.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads