• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What would change for you if Wizards started calling it 6E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Would you accept calling it a 6th edition if the changes were close to what have been described and playtested so far?
Yes.
Would this clarify expectations for the better, or confuse expectations more for the worse for you?
I think it would clarify, but my opinion probably doesn't reflect other posters from what I've read.
Would this change your plan to support or not support the product?
No.
Would you see Wizards in a better, or worse light?
Same.
Would you further consider Wizards to be dishonest, disingenuous, weak to pressure, or admitting to lying compared to their original marketing pitch?
No.

Not sure I follow. I'm of the opinion that they are bending over backwards to avoid calling it a new edition.

Going ahead and call it what it is, wouldn't be a negative, and would be at least marginally more honest.
OK, just a difference of opinion then. I think it clearly not be a new edition so to call it one would be pretty dishonest.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
You know what, I am finally coming around to agree with this idea. It's not like the adventures had a strict sense of balance to begin with. Who cares if everyone gets extra feats, more HP, more effective wildshape, etc.?
Heck, just let the players do what they want and overwork the DM trying to figure out how to challenge them with no resources. That's what D&D has been doing since 2014.
On a less cynical level, they have stated none of the monster CRs are changing, which is a big boon since an encounter built for level 5 '14 PCs using '14 monsters should work just as fine with '24 PCs and '24 monsters. At least as good as it did, and perhaps a bit better balance. YMMV.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
On a less cynical level, they have stated none of the monster CRs are changing, which is a big boon since an encounter built for level 5 '14 PCs using '14 monsters should work just as fine with '24 PCs and '24 monsters. At least as good as it did, and perhaps a bit better balance. YMMV.
They can't change the monster CR or the published adventures won't work, and that is a very strong priority for their business plan.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
All of 3PP content exists because it is 5e compatible. If six comes out it essentially kills all of that 3PP work. Like it or not, D&D is the brand people will follow and where people will go. 6e mostly kills 5e.
I really disagree. For one thing, there are plenty of 3pp that are their own 5e-related game. Level Up is an example. They don't need WotC and their shenanigans at all. Secondly, your assumption that everyone will blindly follow WotC whereever they go is unproven, and is instead I suspect based on your own feelings. If 6e comes out some people will go along and others will stick with 5e in one of its many forms, and you can't logically assume that an entire industry would collapse if WotC stopped making 5e. You give them far too much credit.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I really disagree. For one thing, there are plenty of 3pp that are their own 5e-related game. Level Up is an example. They don't need WotC and their shenanigans at all. Secondly, your assumption that everyone will blindly follow WotC whereever they go is unproven, and is instead I suspect based on your own feelings. If 6e comes out some people will go along and others will stick with 5e in one of its many forms, and you can't logically assume that an entire industry would collapse if WotC stopped making 5e. You give them far too much credit.
...isssss it though???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads