• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would you like to see dropped from Dungeon?

What would you like to see dropped from Dungeon?

Patlin

Explorer
The_Universe said:
I especially dislike Downer. GET RID OF IT.

Me too! I'm a subscriber, and I have been since before Downer started. I find it uninteresting, difficult to follow, and I've stopped reading it alltogether after even the "recap" couldn't stir me to care what the heck was going on in the strip. Comics are good, Downer is not.

Zogonia or Order of the Stick are much more my style.

Felon

First Post
I miss Snarf, man. Did his adventures get collected into trade format?

Downer needs a babe. Then again, I guess the art direction doesn't really lend itself to voluptuousness.

diaglo

Adventurer
Felon said:
I miss Snarf, man. Did his adventures get collected into trade format?

Downer needs a babe. Then again, I guess the art direction doesn't really lend itself to voluptuousness.
i bought the book of elf pr0n partly b/c dixie was in it. :eek:

Matchstick

Adventurer
Ghostwind said:
I'm of the opinion that Downer should go and Order of the Stick should replace it.

I'm all about that suggestion. OOTS is immensely more funny than all of the comics in Dungeon now combined.

Arnwyn

First Post
I wouldn't cry if Wil Save and Downer were no longer in Dungeon (and indeed, one isn't). But there's certainly nothing in Dungeon that I actively hate.

On the other hand, I'm surprised to see that more people who voted dislike Mt. Zogon more than The Portent. Nice to see that there's a lot of crack being smoked in this thread.

Patlin

Explorer
Erik Mona said:
The latest story arc has slimmed the cast down to five characters for precisely this reason, at the suggestion of the editor-in-chief. The strip will retain these five core characters for the foreseeable future.

--Erik

Hmm. Sounds like some changes were made. Possibly I'll go back through my back issues and give it yet another try. Mainly, though, I find the characters to be unsympathetic. I prefer heroic characters generally, though I do have fond memories of Wormy.

Also, I wanted to say my dislike of Downer isn't a personal attack on Erik Mona. I like his magazine as a whole, that's why I subscribe to it. Life might be simpler if everyone had the same opinion on every issue, but wouldn't it be boring? I have disliked Downer overall (Wil's column has been one of my favorites, but that's another issue) but I'm willing to recognize that reasonable minds can differ.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Soel said:
I am surprised to read all the hate of Downer. It is the only comic in all of Dungeon and Dragon Magazines to actually have a D&D feel. NONE of those other strips ever looked or felt like D&D( look there's an Illithid, there's some Myconids.)
I must concede, I liked the Myconid one. :)

I suspect a lot of folks opinions are colored by web comics they like (which most of, I find to be so much dreck.)
Yeah, I personally enjoy maybe 1 of 4 OotS strips. Everyone's tastes are different... as evidenced by the whackjobs that don't like Mt Zogon! (j/k :)

Keep Downer

I represent that group of readers for whom Downer didn't need to cough up a story. I approach it in the same way I did when I missed a couple episodes of Twin Peaks and tried to get back into the story, realizing the characters and situations were far more interesting than any attempt at an actual plot.

Not that plots are bad, mind you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads