What would you rule?

Had this come up in a higher level campaign we were running at home. Our group was in an open field, wide open spaces when a Dragon attacked us. Perfect for him. He's bouncing all over the place, doing fly-by attacks, using his large fly speed to full advantage, etc, etc,...

My Avenger and his defender buddy finally got him flanked on a large stone "ring", but on his next turn we knew he was flying again so in an act of desperation brought on by some totally lateral thinking, I shoved one of these through his hind foot:

Power (Consumable): Standard Action. When you push this nail into a door, chest, or other closeable object, it magically sinks into the material of that object and seals it shut. Treat this as if you had used an Arcane Lock ritual with an Arcana check result of 25.Special: You can use this item in place of the required component cost for an Arcane Lock ritual. In that case, use your own Arcana check instead of that of the nail.

I know, I know, his foot isn't exactly a closeable object, but it was between 2 surfaces that are against each other.

I told the DM what I did and he said, "come again?"... :) Totally numbed his thought processes for a bit. He finally ruled I had to meet a DC of 15, which I did. Then he ruled that the head of the nail was too small to hold back the power of the dragon and he lifted off, pulling the nail through his foot (he did allow 1d4 damage).

After the encounter he commented on my lateral thinking, as it were, and wanted to know where in the world that had come from. I told him I firmly believe, even with +6 this, and +6 that, that the mind is still the greatest weapon.

I like taking DM's out of their box... :)

Now...how would you have ruled, and whats the rationale behind it. Thanks!

Thats cool!

Depending on other factors, I would have ruled that your action drew an OA and pinned the Dragon temporarily.. basically with this condition:

Nailed to the floor:
Immobilized (Save Ends)
After effect: Deal damage = normal expression on page 42

My reasoning.. 'just say yes' and 'thats a cool idea, so it should work'... balanced by 'everything has a cost'

Besides, last time I checked being near a dragon could be seriously painful.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Depending on other factors, I would have ruled that your action drew an OA and pinned the Dragon temporarily.. basically with this condition:

Nailed to the floor:
Immobilized (Save Ends)

Precisely 100% verbatim what I would have ruled.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Thats cool!

Nailed to the floor:
Immobilized (Save Ends)

My reasoning.. 'just say yes' and 'thats a cool idea, so it should work'... balanced by 'everything has a cost'

Besides, last time I checked being near a dragon could be seriously painful.
Elegant summary of where I would have ended up.

Kudos on being creative. :D

Flipguarder

First Post
Awesome stuff like this only works once in my campaigns. Giving everyone who buys a bunch of inexpensive consumable item an extra at-will that immobilizes (save ends) and does a fair bit of damage just don't seem balanced.

Id give it to them when they first thought of it, and then let them know at the end of the session that it won't work again. I reward creativity, not creative exploitation.

jester_gl

First Post
I think I would have treated that magical nail has grabbing the dragon, with a DC 25 to escape the grab. The placing of the nail would probably have counted has a grapple attempt, targetting the reflex of the dragon.

aco175

Legend
After first reading the initial post, I was thinking immobilized until the end of the next turn and low damage for pulling free. I would have given something like high damage if a crit was scored. Upon reading the other post, I like that better.

eamon

Explorer
You had nothing else to nail around his foot - and had to pierce it?

I'd make you make an attack roll vs. AC (piercing the foot), namely your primary stat +1 (level 4 item) vs. AC. I suspect that's a hard roll to make, but then, you're not really well equipped for such an attack. I'd say the dragon takes damage twice, once for the initial hit, and again when tearing free, for a total of say d8+1 each? To get free, the dragon must spend a move action (or, if for some reason getting free is really hard, it should make a strength check as move action, or simply a save).

I'm not sure I'm comfortable ruling extra favorably for creativity - it's nice, but it's also kinda inconsistent.

Remove ads