D&D General What's Bardier than a Bard?

But the D&D Bard is musical. They get Musical instrument Tool proficiencies, they use them as their focus, the description of their spellcasting says they shape magic with their wishes and music. Music in an a core part of the class mechanics and flavour.

Only partially. It is nice flavour, but they can recite or chant ans still cast magic.
Also playing an instrument does not make you a troubador.

And if I could chose, I would remove the instrument proficiencies for the base class and add it to the troubador subclass.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Virtuoso is pretty great for a high-ranking level title at any rate!

This thread has been exceedingly helpful. Right at the moment, it looks like I'll be calling the class "minstrel" (because that's by far the most accurate, yet sufficiently generic, term), with level titles as follows (using the same pattern at high levels that I'm applying to all the classes): busker (1st), rhymer (2nd), performer (3rd), entertainer (4th), sonneteer (5th), balladeer (6th), lyrist (7th), rhapsodist (8th), jongleur (9th), troubadour (12th), virtuoso (15th), poet laureate (18th).

Ashrym

Legend
But the D&D Bard is musical. They get Musical instrument Tool proficiencies, they use them as their focus, the description of their spellcasting says they shape magic with their wishes and music. Music in an a core part of the class mechanics and flavour.

Music is a minor part of the core mechanics. It's proficiency and use as a focus. Music as fluff exists but that only applies to the extent a player presents it. I can make a bard who never touches a musical instrument if I want with absolutely no negative impact to the playability.

Music is still applicable to the concept, however. It comes from the practice of evoking emotions, and music is applicable to military conflict through history. It's the silly approach people use that cause the disconnect. ;-)

Remove ads