What's Coriolis actually like?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
So I bought the book after online recommendations/reviews

I have no play experience outside of many years of D&D and a Dredd 1-shot

What I want to know is what is it actually like in play?

How eastern is the vibe? Is it just dressing or is it rooted in there

Are there 3 pillars (D&D 5e Exploration, Social and Combat) or more? And how do those play out and feel.

Is there lots of resource management and ship repairing or is that in the background

I understand the dice and mechanics so don't require an explanation on those but for all of you who have played (or GM'd) what does it feel like and how does it play out.

Cheers.

So I bought the book after online recommendations/reviews

I have no play experience outside of many years of D&D and a Dredd 1-shot

What I want to know is what is it actually like in play?

How eastern is the vibe? Is it just dressing or is it rooted in there

Are there 3 pillars (D&D 5e Exploration, Social and Combat) or more? And how do those play out and feel.

Is there lots of resource management and ship repairing or is that in the background

I understand the dice and mechanics so don't require an explanation on those but for all of you who have played (or GM'd) what does it feel like and how does it play out.

Cheers.
Well, when Southeast Asian players get into it, we certainly put our own identities into it pretty well. Here's a series of play reports by my local friends. Coriolis RPG Archives | Hishgraphics

aramis erak

Legend
I've not run/played it yet, but it gives a vibe to me very similar to Chronicles of Riddick...
1001 Arabian Nights is the inspiring source listed... both for Coriolis and for Riddick... if you haven't read it, 1001 Arabian Nights is a good read...
but also, note that two of the most popular tales from it were 19th C French additions: Aladdin and Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves. Another is 17th C Turkish: The Seven Voyages of SInbad the Sailor. But those three are in the same mode as the rest, so their additions aren't problematic.

Note that most of the tales in 1001 Arabian Nights are morality plays. There's always a moral dilemma, and the protagonists are often changed by it.

Remove ads