D&D 5E What's fun about being a DM?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
My favorite thing about DMing is having only the barest sketches of a session prepared because I had a busy week and didn't have the prep time. But my players start reading more into a description or event and have these long planning conversations that end up becoming an impromptu writers workshop for me and I take an idea or two they came up with and run with it. Somehow, my adventures come across as more impressive to my players, and they are more impressed with what I've "planned", on those days when I was just improving off of their ideas.

That and crushing PCs, seeing them driven before my villains, and hearing the lamentations of their players.

Especially when it was caused by ideas they came up with.

Best things about being a DM:
  • Improvisation when the PCs inevitable jump off my carefully laid out railroad in the first 10 minutes of gameplay. :ROFLMAO:
  • Building the world behind the story, so I know what happens after the players jumped off my railroad. :sneaky:
  • Roleplaying a character that the players hate, but are either too afraid to attack or really need for something. :devil:
  • Telling the players about a major and unexpected plot twist, then sit back as they all start talking at the same time bubbling with ideas how to overcome this next obstable. :cool:

That, and of course crushing PCs, seeing them driven before my villains, and hearing the lamentations of the players.

Larnievc

Hero
Lifelong DM here.

Often I see posts about the hard work of being a DM, groups searching for a DM, the various responsibilities of a DM...

This thread is not about any of those things.

For those of you who love to run the game (and I am one of those), what is fun about being the DM? What drives you to take a seat behind the DM screen? What do you love about it?
I like being able to make the things I have in my imagination kinda come true.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I add to most things said. But last years I slowly realised I'm a fan of my players and their characters. I think that is the point where you are happy being the DM. It's like people doing movies, books and series all for me and only me.

Remove ads