D&D 5E What's fun?

Which three of these eight aesthetics are fun for you?

• Sensation.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Fantasy.

Votes: 35 51.5%
  • Narrative.

Votes: 41 60.3%
  • Challenge.

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • Fellowship.

Votes: 34 50.0%
  • Discovery.

Votes: 36 52.9%
  • Expression.

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Submission.

Votes: 1 1.5%

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Which one corresponds to "I like the math, and want more of it"?
Depends on why you like the math, but it's probably Challenge.
It's game as pastime. Grinding in an MMO. Watching a show you've already seen a dozen times. It's the "something to do" aspect of play. This video might help.
From a TTRPG angle this is sometimes described as "beer and pretzels" play: kick down door, kill monsters, get treasure. It's exactly the gameplay loop that Munchkin is riffing off of.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
From a TTRPG angle this is sometimes described as "beer and pretzels" play: kick down door, kill monsters, get treasure. It's exactly the gameplay loop that Munchkin is riffing off of.
I’m not sure that’s accurate. Beer & Pretzels is less serious-minded than other styles, but I wouldn’t describe it as passively engaging, which is what submission sounds like to me. I’d say it’s more the player that plays RPGs because that’s what everyone else is doing.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I chose Fantasy, Fellowship, and Expression. Though I also wanted to choose Narrative and Submission.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Sensation - the feel and sound of the dice, the visual beauty of the maps, the spectacle of figures on the battle mat

Fantasy - being a character in a world of swords and sorcery

Challenge - fighting legendary monsters, surviving deadly dungeons, gaining untold riches

Remove ads