• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the best D&D product EVAR?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Hmmm. Tough choice. Here are some of my top contenders:

I6: Ravenloft (the original module)
A1-4: Scourge of the Slavelords
1st edition DMG
Greyhawk campaign setting - early 1980s folio version
3rd edition Oriental Adventures
Al-Qadim setting

but I think my favorite is:
1st edition PHB - some of it may be from nostalgia, but this is the book that opened the doors for me

MonsterMash

First Post
Wombat said:
(...getting in before Diaglo again!)

The Three Little Books -- OD&D (pre-1st Ed)

No, in terms of physical quality they were not the best, but the utterly changed the face of gaming!

To me, that qualifies :)

Well its a really hard choice, but I'm going to have to agree as this is where it all started from for me.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Melan said:
1) The 1st edition Dungeon Masters Guide. No matter what I am DMing, there is always something I can use from it. Herbs and gems! Items typically bejewelled! Random monster charts! One of the best gaming purchases I made.

3) Honorable mention goes to L1: The Secret of Bone Hill. That's another one that taught me about campaign planning.

I bought the first for 10.99 shipped, and the second you can download for FREE off the WotC site. Definitely will take a second look at it.

Neo

Explorer
Hmm I dont think I have one all clear winner above and beyond all others..but certainly some specific favourites from each edition.

1st Edition AD&D = Grey box Forgotten Realms... treasured that big time!

2nd Edition AD&D = Birthright... gave me a highlanderesque feel to characters and domain ruling system.. loved and still love that setting. However on an equal footing I would put Spelljammer because not only was it out there and great fun...but because it was outside the box expectation wise.

3.0 D&D = Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide... that was imo a setting book how setting books should be done..it had everything!

3.5 D&D = Thus far I have been particularly impressed by a few books (eberron, dragonmech, expanded psionics, PGTF.. however the one which is dearest to my heart and provided me the most joy as a fan, player and long time GM is the Draconomicon.. I love that book!

Galethorn

First Post
The best thing I've EVAR bought has got to be A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe by Expeditious Retreat Press.

Value: I got it on sale at RPGNow for $5, but, I have to say, even as a PDF, it's worth at least $15. $5 for a book like this is practically stealing. In fact, I'm planning to buy the physical version next time I have some money together, and head over to my friendly (closest to) local gaming store. And, for $20, the physical version will still be an amazing deal.

Material: I have yet to see a better book for dealing with the social, economic, and nitty-gritty details of a fantasy setting, with literally no effort required to adjust for differing levels of magic. This book applies to any homebrew world where 1.) There's anything like the medieval feudal system, and 2.) any attempt at internal realism (aka verisimilitude) is made.

Style: I really like the 'parchment' background on the pages, as well as medieval-style artwork, but that's just me.

So, I have to say, despite the fact that it wouldn't even exist without the core rulebooks before it, A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe has to be the best D&D product that I've ever spent money on. In fact, it beats all of the free ones, and the ones that other people payed for. It's great. If you've got a homebrew world, want to make a homebrew world, or are wondering about making a homebrew world, you need this book.

Ourph

First Post
Lots of good things listed. Unfortunately, I can't choose just one. These would all be tied for #1 on my list.

-Moldvay/Cook Basic/Expert D&D boxed sets.
-1e DMG.
-Three set Dungeon Geomorphs (not the compilation).
-Three set Monster & Treasure assortment (again, not the compilation).

With those 4 things, I could run D&D forever and be happy as a clam. :)

Sunderstone

First Post
The Best....
AD&D Players Handbook with the Original cover. Getting this book changed everything gaming-wise for me. You could also count many of the 1E modules here.

Others great things (not in order)...
1) The Basic Set - the box that started it all for me. :)
2) Ravenloft Setting with Feast of Goblyns.
3) Planescape Setting, specifically In the Cage: A Guide to Sigil and the Factol's Manifesto.
4) Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (grey box).
5) The Night Below boxed set.

rounser

First Post
Best played: Those Dark Sun modules from Freedom, Road to Urik on up and through to Dragon's Crown. And Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn on the computer game side.

Best run: White Plume Mountain, and a campaign based purely on Dungeon magazine adventures, in a purpose-built setting.

Best setting product: The 3E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting...I get the feeling from the book that it was written at a time when the authors still believed in the "3E dream", with WotC still flush enough with money to offer production standards to match, about a setting that at least some of the authors and editors really cared about.

Most inspiring products: Tall Tales of the Wee Folk for good examples of how to inject fairytale ideas into D&D. Ruins of Adventure, The Veiled Society, The Secret of Bone Hill and all the Volo's Guides for being good examples of how to run non-dungeon-based campaigns.

Just plain cool: Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog. And Arr-Kelaan Software's Hexmapper, for being really simple, really powerful, and free.

Last edited:

Dire Serpent

First Post
Greyhawk, Supplement 1 - exceptional strength, paladins, thieves, beholders and a whole slew of magical items that are now paradigms for the game. It took the simplistic game from the three little books to an altogether higher level and made it into something elegant.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads