• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the current status of the DDI character builder?

S

Sunseeker

As far as I know, neither of those things are happening. The offline character builder is not being distributed, nor recreated by the user community.

Likewise the information in 4e is not governed by an OGL and cannot similarly be distributed. The only way to get the information is from WOTC.

So, with all those things taken into consideration.
How does one without the offline CB get it if not illegally? Since it is no longer available for download?
How does the offline CB get current Essentials products if their information cannot be distributed without WOTC permission?

And if it wasn't totally illegal, why didn't you just post a link to it instead of use traditional illegal-downloading language of "look around for it"?

D'karr

Adventurer
I stand exactly by what I said. The offline character builder is not being distributed, nor recreated by the user community. WotC did distribute the offline character builder, even if they don't do so any longer. Those that already had it have no issues.

Take that as you will. I didn't put a link because I don't have a link to the offline character builder, as you said distributing it is illegal.

S

Sunseeker

I stand exactly by what I said. The offline character builder is not being distributed, nor recreated by the user community. WotC did distribute the offline character builder, even if they don't do so any longer. Those that already had it have no issues.

Take that as you will. I didn't put a link because I don't have a link to the offline character builder, as you said distributing it is illegal.

So, if I understand you right:
Newcomers can't:
A: Get the offline CB
B: Get the Essentials information in it(unless they add it all in themselves)

So...what was the point of suggesting it?

D'karr

Adventurer
So...what was the point of suggesting it?

Since the OP said that he dropped his subscription shortly after the online CB came online there is a good chance that he might still have the offline character builder. If he wants to add the stuff there are ways to do it, and I pointed out that option.

At no point have I, or anyone else in this thread suggested anything illegal - until you came in to state the obvious. If you want to continue being antagonizing because you think somebody is doing something wrong, why don't you report the relevant post(s) instead of being passive aggressive about a point nobody has made?

the Jester

Legend
Re: the old offline builder- one of my players has coded in a bunch of my homebrewed magic items and paragon paths, so I know it can be done if you have the old builder.

I thought you could still download the demo version from the WotC site, but maybe I'm wrong.

D'karr

Adventurer
one of my players has coded in a bunch of my homebrewed magic items and paragon paths, so I know it can be done if you have the old builder.

That is correct. I've made extensions to the themes, magic items, and new powers. It's a bit like PCGen in that you need to know the syntax, but it's not entirely difficult with a little bit of practice.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads