• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the first thing you guess you'll have to house-rule?

Zander

Explorer
Emirikol said:
Are monks going to be in 4E?

jh
Bruce Cordell told me there would be. I don't think they'll be in PHB1, that's all. Perhaps PHB2. When they appear, they'll have an asian flavour.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Li Shenron said:
Even if there is a bunch of things I really don't like, I promise that I will first try the new edition rules as-is.

Hence I don't really know yet what fill be my first HR.
This.

Though I will rename the Paladin "the Herald." Since the lawful-good only restriction is gone, and non-LG gods can have them, Herald seems more widely applicable. "Paladins" will be an order of Heralds of Bahamit, most likely associated with some LG kingdom.

mhensley

First Post
I'm thinking of limiting my game to 10 levels and probably doubling the amount of xp needed to level. It's also quite possible that I might not want to use the new pc races like tiefling and eladrin.

I know exactly what the first thing I will HR into the new edition ... Elements of Magic :)

.. unless the 4e 'not completely Vancian' spell system works better... not likely ;)

ThirdWizard

First Post
Li Shenron said:
Even if there is a bunch of things I really don't like, I promise that I will first try the new edition rules as-is.

Hence I don't really know yet what fill be my first HR.

Yep, when I started playing 3e, I immediately made a bunch of house rules. Few lasted 6 months, and almost none lasted a year, before I realized how horrible they were. I'm going to play the game straight for at least 6 months before I even think about introducing house rules. Also, probably the first two to four months of play will be one shots so that we can figure out the system.

The Right Word

First Post
Magic items, more for flavor then rules balancing. I like my potions to be salves, and my staves to be rods. Magic swords are energy weapons. That type of thing.

I think the most house-ruled thing in 3E was a targeted attack system (attack the head, the eyes, the ligaments of the heel). I don't see that being a core rule in 4E right off, so I'm sure that's something we'll have to house rule.

Kunimatyu

First Post
I'll be removing nonhumans other than possibly tieflings, and rework the other racial benefits to be things that humans could select (like being fast and evasive or able to shrug off multiple hits, etc.)

Greg K

Legend
If I were to switch and, as of the moment, I do not plan to, these would be my first houserules.

1. Slower Advancment
2. No tieflings
3. The Warlock is probably out or only NPC
4. Gnomes are PC race.
5. multiclass penalties in
6. fighters will not do damage on a miss.
7. Put favored classes back in, but each non-human race will have multiple favored classes to reflect their culture.

Doug McCrae

Legend
XP. Levelling speed. Maybe death/resurrection. Maybe multiclassing (removed).

Though probably I should houserule nothing for my first few games, give the new rules a fair shot.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads