D&D Movie/TV What's The Latest On The D&D Movie?

Last we heard about the D&D movie was that it was coming on July 23rd, 2021. That was back in December. Various outlets are now reporting that Chris McKay, who is currently working on the Nightwing movie, will be directing. Also, separately on 14th February, Dragonlance authors Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman posted a photo of themselves on a "secret mission" with actor Joe Manganellio, who at one point tweeted a photo of a Dragonlance script (Manganellio tweeted the same photo saying "With two of the architects of my childhood, the authors of the Dragonlance novels Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman").

weis_hickman_manganielo.jpg

We've heard so many little rumours over the past few years. Repeating from a previous article I wrote: in the past we heard that the movie would be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it would be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganellio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

I think it's safe to say we know nothing at all. But we can have fun connecting the dots to see if we can make a picture!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Though it would be a very good story (the whole Drizzt Do’urden arc), There’s waaay too much unintentional subtext involving a story about a race of black- or dark blue/violet-skinned humanoids who are evil underground demon-worshippers to ever leave a pitch meeting - not even to mention the focus of the story being on the sole drow, who is a good person, who hangs around good and noble caucasian-looking people who live on the surface in the light.

Last edited by a moderator:

MechaPilot

Explorer
WhenDisney buys Hasbro we'll have all of the D&D shows and movies we want....

When Disney buys Hasbro we'll have Elminster joining the Avengers, or Doctor Strange showing up in FR.

Since they'll own Fox as well, we'll get to see Xenomorphs and Predators officially part of monster manuals.

And when they eventually buy Universal, Strahd will be Dracula, and Mordenheim will be Frankenstein, in name as well as likeness.

S

Sunseeker

I'm still kinda curious what they're even going to do for a movie. I don't think that fundamentally any individual piece of the established lore has enough traction to draw in movie-goers, but the fundamental concept of an adventuring party might, but then you're basically doing LOTR with some hijinks.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I have high hopes for a D&D movie this go around. Why? Because they have a lot of very good fantasy movies and series they can learn from.

When Disney buys Hasbro we'll have Elminster joining the Avengers, or Doctor Strange showing up in FR.

Since they'll own Fox as well, we'll get to see Xenomorphs and Predators officially part of monster manuals.

And when they eventually buy Universal, Strahd will be Dracula, and Mordenheim will be Frankenstein, in name as well as likeness.

Still better than what you could have for crossovers while owned by Hasbro. Discord and Megatron could be the big bads at the end of the movie. lol

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
The Dragonlance Chronicles would be a fantastic choice to turn into a Movie but you would need Peter Jackson to do it right.

kikazzi

First Post
As much as I love DragonLance, I don't think they could pull off a good movie unless they gave Hobbit treatment to each of the books. A 9+ part movie for just Chronicles is probably not in the cards, which is why I lean towards a GoT type show. At the same time, though, Chronicles might lack the other points of view for that.
If they rumor of them trying to pull a Guardians of the Galaxy with this movie is true, well I'll hope for the best but expect the opposite. You can mock tropes for comedy gold without a solid backlog of tropes, and I feels like reaching to go after LotR and GoT at this point. There just doesn't feel like enough movie material in the public conscious. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe they've got a script that will blow all our minds.

I am pretty sure this movie will be the love child of LOTR and Jumanji/the D&D cartoon with added Drizzt and Elminster (filling in for the Dungeon Master role).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases