What's the process for a Freelancer?

Rechan

Adventurer
I know that with several publications, like Dragon, or anyone out there, the process is like this:

You have an idea.
You email them and pitch it.
They respond positively.
You write it.
You submit it.
They approve.

What happens if you write your piece before pitching it? Can you "shop around"? Should you only contact one publisher at a time?

In this particular instance, I'm looking specifically at e-publishers, PDF guys, etc.

I ask partly because I have this idea for basically a group of badguys. However, being horrible at committing myself to more than I can handle (and having too eclectic an attention span), I would rather write it first and have it done before I start approaching people. Is that possible? Is that wise?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There isn't "a process" - very publisher works diffeently. Your example above, though, would probably work for 90% of publishers.

tensen

First Post
Most often freelancers submit entire projects for their first steps, or handle a small portion of a larger project. For starting freelancers you need to show that you can produce and meet a deadline.

In fact most small publishers don't want you to pitch an idea you haven't finished. Since if you end up not producing a working product you've made it worrisome for them to produce a similar product. The further you move up the chain of being a useful freelancers for a company the more readily they accept new ideas.

cdrcjsn

First Post
Each company has a different guideline.

Keep in mind that some publishers (i.e. dragon magazine) specifically says that you cannot shop product around to other publishers when you send them something for consideration.

Basically, you just need to get the submission guideline for each place you are considering of submitting material to and you just need to follow it. There aren't any standardized formats or method of submission.

Vigilance

Explorer
Personally I'd just write it, then shop it around.

You get valuable experience writing an entire, working product with all the pieces in place, and a whole product works better as a pitch than just a one paragraph synopsis.

The only time I wouldnt do that is if I wanted to submit to a publisher that explicitly requires a different process.

Then you need to play by their rules.

Sigurd

First Post
The Phoenix Lore Ezine is free and so far has been really good.

They have two issues and a column called "Apprentice Workshop' written by John Ling. Ling has written a number of pieces for a number of gaming publications. If you're curious about the process I'd heartily recommend the magazine.

Its been really god and, like I said, its also free.

Phoenix Lore

Sigurd

Remove ads