Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Just watched the first episode... it's ok. The very beginning is pretty rough, it just jumps in right away with a voice-over lore dump. No time to gestate characters or setting, just "Here's the story!"

Felt a lot like David Lynch's Dune, jumping in straight away with Princess Irulan lore-dumping info. I don't like it. It's ok to not explain the main story in the first 5 minutes. Game of Thrones certainly doesn't in it's first episode, but it's a fantastic pilot episode.

TheSword

Legend
It definitely feels very D&D though. More so than any other series I’ve seen. Which is nice.

It’s definitely less confusing than the Witcher. Which with its constant jumping around was barely coherent at times. Though I agree had an excellent cast.

I have to re-watch episode one. It was hard to follow and I want to see where he lost it.
It may turn up. I was wondering where their bows were. And then suddenly we have a shot with Rand with a bow on his back when he hadn't been carrying one at all.

And the sword kind of reappears from nowhere at all.

(It's possible they could have been on their horses, and they managed to grab them when they fled Shadar Logoth and lost the horses).

TheSword

Legend
To be fair, Rand has a bow at a few points. When they hear wolves on the way to Edmonds field with Tam he points it into the forest. He also shoots at the Trolloc that attack his farmstead.

TheSword

Legend
I mean after they started travelling.
I’m about to watch episode 3. Then I’m gonna watch through again. I have a feeling I may have been a bit harsh.

I was thinking back to episode 1 of GOT and how little happened in the first episode. An ambush, an execution, a party, and a defenestration (kind of). With some whores, wolves and archery contests thrown in for measure. Looking back, John Snow was a moody git, so was Sansa and they end up on an amazing arc.

What I need to do is look at the Wheel of Time as something to enjoy in and of itself rather than where it fits into the full story of the books. Judge it against the start of GOT and not the full experience GOT it turned out to be. The first few seasons of GOT were exceptionally good and kinda went downhill and drifted. WOT has time to find its feet. I also think WOT champions world building and layering of myth, legend and reality. It needs time to build.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Just finished three aaaand…

… really like it!

Actually got to see both Rand and Matt as decent people. Really liked the traveling people and the dark friend. Thom Merillion was excellent.
Yeah. Episode 3 worked on Matt, Rand and Perrin quite a bit. Thom so far doesn't strike me as the court bard turned gleeman, though. He's rougher than he was in the books. He definitely does the gleeman part well, though. Hopefully the court bard stuff comes through a bit in the next few episodes.

Remove ads