• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wheel of Time November Launch. The next GOT or the next Shannara Chronicles?

pukunui

Legend
I only managed to make it partway through book 5 before I got sick of the repetitive plots and repetitive characters.

From what I can recall, there were about 3 or 4 interchangeable male protagonists and about the same number of female ones. I remember thinking the series could have been much shorter and more streamlined if he’d condensed all his characters down into one or two.

Anyway, my point is, I don’t have fond memories of this series so I will most likely give this a miss … especially if they are trying to be faithful to the books, as a poster above stated. That tells me there will be minimal condensing of characters / plots.

Nevertheless, I shall withhold a final judgment until the series is out and people are talking about it.

EDIT: For what it’s worth, I was not a fan of the Shannara books either. All I can really remember of that series is the author’s overuse of the term “tendrils of mist”.

Also, I haven’t read any of the GoT books. I enjoyed the series (but agree that the show didn’t stick the landing).

Last edited:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
If Season 1 is only half of book 1, but they've got it all plotted out in Season 8? I think they're definitely planning to consolidate quite a bit.

Does anyone know if Sanderson is involved at all?

TheSword

Legend
A Feast For Crows came out in 2005.
A Dance with Dragon came out in 2011, the same year as Season 1.
With the expectation of more books coming during the shows run.

The last Wheel of Time book will be 9 years ago when this show comes out. And that was book 15.
That’s fair. There could be the element of freshness to GOT, it’s kind of what I meant by the unfinished nature of it being exciting.

A lot will depend on how existing fans react to the adaption and whether it can capture new viewers like Morrus and get them hooked.

Luckily book 1 is a really story of its own accord and is frequently near the top of best fantasy book lists. If they can do a great adaption and writing, with a cast that can bring it to life and a decent cinematography I think it could be a winner. That’s a lot of ifs, but I really do hope so.

TheSword

Legend
If Season 1 is only half of book 1, but they've got it all plotted out in Season 8? I think they're definitely planning to consolidate quite a bit.

Does anyone know if Sanderson is involved at all?
Brandon Sanderson and Harriet McDougal (Jordan’s Widow) are both described as Consulting Producers. Harriet was Jordan’s editor so it’s very promising that she is on board.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don’t quite get that? Game of Thrones was written in 1996. The books were made popular by the TV show a decade and a half later.
The books were still ongoing successes, as people still believed the series would continue to be published. Wheel of Time hasn't been published in years and hasn't been relevant for far longer than that. I don't know if it's quite as irrelevant at Shannara, but it's close.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Amazon has produced a number of truly excellent shows, which MTV has not, so it's got that going for it, and shows like the Witcher show that, post-GOT, producers of fantasy series have put real money toward productions since. So this will look good.

I only got halfway through the first brick of a book, I think, and found it completely unmemorable. I will certainly watch an episode or two, but have no expectation of how it'll go.

TheSword

Legend
I saw an interesting fact that A Song of Ice and Fire has sold 90 million copies.

Wheel of Time has sold 90 million copies also…. before it’s TV series has come out. Wheel of time certainly is a well established piece of fiction. Love it or hate it. It has been successful.

It’s been greenlit for series 2 filming already which is a good show of confidence from Amazon too!

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I saw an interesting fact that A Song of Ice and Fire has sold 90 million copies.

Wheel of Time has sold 90 million copies also…. It before it’s TV series has come out. Wheel of time certainly is a well established piece of fiction. Love it or hate it. It has been successful.

It’s been greenlit for series 2 filming already which is a good show of confidence from Amazon too!

With 3 times the books out. Sort of implies it's 1/3rd as popular.

Remove ads