• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When a warrior stands at the wrong end of a crossbow...

Land Outcast

Explorer
Hum... please round up in this situation... for the Baron's sake!

+1 Light crossbow, critical hit, max damage... 18 damage... Fort DC 14... Yeha... the hero is... terrified...

D&D covers this. Helpless includes characters that are "completely at an opponent's mercy". Coup de grace can be performed on helpless targets. Combat hasn't started, so if the character wants to avoid this, initiative comes up. If he wins on initiative, he has enough time to spin out of the way and act. If the crossbowman comes up on initiative first, that character may well be screwed without a nice Fort save.

Thanks! For lethality's sake! Now, some people might not interpret it that way... I will

reanjr

First Post
Hammerhead said:
Why the big deal about a crossbow anyway? Why not a bow, or a sword?

Well, there's good reason to not include sword. In order to get good thrust on a sword (or a good swing) you must pull back, giving time to react. Bows on the other hand can be loaded or pulled back and it's nigh instantaneous to release or trigger the bow.

reanjr

First Post
Nycarius said:
I enjoy reading your thoughts on this and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Land Outcast said:
Lol... I'm flabbergasted by such sarcasm?/irony?/joke?/flattering?/praise?

Completly dumbstruck... can't use my powers of interpretation... someone please come help me!

BTW: Congratz on achieving lvl 2, Nyc

My guess is Nycarius reads a bit too much Slashdot

Nyaricus

First Post
Starman said:
hey, FARK is amazing...

Anywasy, no it was just a phrase that was drifting around EN World, and I picked it up 'cause it sounded funny. Generally, this is used for minuatae discussion of no real "heavy" implications and states a general agreeance to a poster's thoughts.

And it's "Nyaricus" ;)

Nyaricus

First Post
Land Outcast said:
Hum... please round up in this situation... for the Baron's sake!

+1 Light crossbow, critical hit, max damage... 18 damage... Fort DC 14... Yeha... the hero is... terrified...

Thanks! For lethality's sake! Now, some people might not interpret it that way... I will
Hold up. You need at least 50 damage to trigger a Massive Damage Save - thus the DC is, at a minimum, 15.

Land Outcast

Explorer
not if you apply the: "So, when you are in the surprise round of combat, and flat-footed, any attack which hits (regardless of actual damage) triigers a Massive Damage Save"

Sravoff

First Post
I thank you all for your input, and regret my late responce. but it couldn't be helped.

There was no real emphasis on the crossbow, it was just an example. A rapier at your throat is very lethal. So swords, bows, and crossbows would be included.

So far I am likeing the "dramatic HP" rule alot, and I'll take a look at the coup de grace later.

I was hoping to not alter the Baron too much, but I think I should definitly use more poison. :]

Thanks all!
-Sravoff

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads