• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E When do you think 4E will be released?

When do you think 4E will come out?

• late 2004

Votes: 4 1.8%

Votes: 12 5.3%

Votes: 63 27.6%

Votes: 44 19.3%

Votes: 47 20.6%

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • 2010 or later

Votes: 33 14.5%
  • Never!

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 3.9%

dead

Explorer
So . . . when do you predict 4E will come out?

I'd say . . . 2006, maybe?

Or, maybe 4E won't come out. Maybe d20 will become the core source and D&D will just be a supplement to a d20 core rulebook? So, in otherwords, you'd have "d20 Core 2nd Edition" featuring the "Dungeons & Dragons accessory" (I doubt that would ever happen; D&D is too strong and will always be the focal point).

Last edited:

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I reckon the "sign" that the release of 4E is imminent will be the arrival of an effective electronic character generator on the market.

I remember when I first got 2E's Core Rules. As soon as I realised how well designed it was, and how much content came with it, I realise that 3E was about to happen.

A decent chargen will be the last hurrah of 3E.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
2006? Way too early. :) I'm not talking from our point of view, either. I'm talking from what I think is the designer's point of view.

4E is going to be a Big Deal. I doubt it'll be as massive as 2E->3E, but it shouldn't be trivial, either. As a result, it should be playtested first. If it is done right, the playtesting will take about a year.

Then it will take a year to get the final development and typesetting done. If they started today, it'd be 2006... and they're not beginning today. At the moment, we're in the D&D 3E Renaissance, with Wizards producing the miniatures, Eberron and a bunch of other sourcebooks.

I expect that the current crop of products will keep Wizards busy through 2005. In 2006, they'll have a look at where they are, and probably decide it's time for 4E. Then, in 2008, 4E will be released.

Cheers!

MonsterMash

First Post
If WotC can make plenty of money by concentrating on the collectibles side of D&D(minis, etc) then it'll be some time otherwise it could be done more quickly.

I personally would hope never, but voted 2007, though 2008 or 2009 could be just as likely.

Turanil

First Post
Ijust bought D&D 3.5 and Xpsi. I do not want to hear about D&D 4.0. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE WotC THE IMPRESSION WE ARE READY TO SPEND ANOTHER 100$ ON THE CORE RULES! THANKS! ;)

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
Hopefully, not before my current books wear out.

And since my old 1E books are still quite useable... (duct tape is a marvelous thing...)

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
If I hear another plaintive cry of "Oh, ze core books are so expensive!" I will probably mutter something sour and post a criticism.

Do the mathematics. You spend $100 on the Third Edition core rules. The revision happens three years later. If you play the game once a month, for three hours at a time (and I am deliberately undercutting these numbers for the sake of the point), that means that you spent $1.08 per hour to play a great game.

Most people will spend much more time playing the game, lowering that per-hour price - and yes, it's true that they'll also spend a lot more money on their sourcebooks.

I know it - apart from the core rules and a few third-party books, I have eight hardback D&D books on my shelves, most of the products published after the revision. I'm in Australia, so even the relative damage to my finances is worse than any American can claim. Even in American dollars that's $268 since 3.5 came out, and sometime this month or the next I'm getting Serpent Kingdoms and the Planar Handbook.

I play D&D about three times a month, more or less, for a total of about 15 hours (at a conservative estimate, since it's usually more like 18). The revision came out about a year ago, conveniently enough. Call it 180 hours of play, stacked up against US$380 worth of material.

That's still only US$2.11, or about five bucks in Australian money, an hour. As if that's not worth it - and when you consider all the stuff I've bought that isn't relevant to me as a player, but which I own because it's fuel for the campaign I want to run sometime in the indeterminate future, the payoff becomes ridiculous. Core rules and Complete Warrior (ignoring the fact that I really only need the Player's Handbook? $130? 72 cents an hour?

Come on!. I don't even play as much as I used to!

This stuff only feels expensive because it comes out in big hits - but I think part of an intelligent approach to your finances lies in figuring out what you want and how much you're getting out of it. The truth is, I may have spent a truckload more money on my D&D collection than I do on PC games, but I consider the latter more of a waste of my money, given how little I play them, and how restricted they are - I can take my D&D books and read them anywhere.

I think the sensible attitude towards any Fourth Edition is this: It will only be worth it if it makes the game better, the way Third Edition did. There are lots of things I'd like to see that I don't feel belong in a mere sourcebook for a system - a system for handling variation of Level Adjustments for creatures which synergise with different classes in different ways, a streamlining of different kinds of monsters (organisation by type, like the core rules does with dragons, would be a really good idea for undead, and meanwhile devils and demons are collated when they're not even a type unto themselves) - and I would hope that any Fourth Edition would address that and simplify things again the way that Third Edition did.

Remove ads