When were you introduced to

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Star Trek- Primarily TNG and the OS movies, probably early 1990's
Battlestar Galactica- The reboot. They were on season 3 or so when I started watching it, so around 2008?
Star Wars- I had Return of the Jedi on VHS that I watched constantly as a child. Late 80's for sure.
Magic the Gathering- I got a handful of boxes from my bro for xmas in... 1993, I wanna say.
D&D- Definitely played it a little when I was really young, like 4-5, in 89 or 90. Didn't get fully into AD&D itself until a few years later alongside the Eye of the Beholder games
Doctor Who- My partner showed me a few seasons of this around 2009-2010. Loved Eccelstein and Tennant, didn't much at all beyond that.
Earthsea- Still haven't read this but have always meant to
Marvel\DC- Early 90's saturday morning cartoons, baby. Spider-man, Iron Man, Fantastic 4, X-Men; Batman TAS for DC.

I also had an Atari 2600?? (or was there a 2500??) later. We had Pacman, Defender, Combat, and one other game to start with. Still love Defender (though sometimes it goes by other names) to this day.

There's an arcade in my neighborhood that has a bunch of classic arcade cabinets, and I decided to give Defender a spin. Let's just say that I was a whole lot rustier than I thought.

Missile Command is one of my favorite games, and perhaps the game I'd point to that most embodies the Cold War fears of the time.

Atomoctba

Adventurer
So, what year were you introduced to the big following things:

D&D
Star Wars
Earth sea
H.Potter
Magic The Gathering
Marvel/ D.C

Other big-name geek stuff that I may have left out.

For me my introduction to D&D would have had to be in 2003 or 2002 during high school, Star wars would be in the mid-90s when the special editions came out. I had no clue what earth sea was until Sci-fi did a horrible job, Potter I got into it due to a cousin gifting me the first book. Magic would have to be also during High school so 2003. Marvel/D.C the 90s when the cartoons were happening. Stargate happened when the movie came out.
D&D in 1988, when a friend of mine came from USA with the books.

Star Wars around 1980, I think, when Empire Strikes Back came to my city's theater.

I read Earth Sea when I was young, but not sure the precise age. Perhaps around the first 80s years.

I was already in my mid-twenties when I read HP for first time. Perhaps around 2000.

Never played Magic, but my fellows in University played it all the time around 94.

Marvel and DC since I was very young. Start of 80s I would say.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
D&D-late 1980s, there was a pair of B/X boxes and I wanted to learn the game with all the complicated rules and numbers.
Star Wars-late 1980s? Saw the original trilogy as reruns on TV somewhere.
Earth sea-mid 1990s, read the first four.
H.Potter-early 2000s, I read the first two, thought, "Hm, probably would have enjoyed this a lot if I'd been ten years younger," didn't pursue further.
Magic The Gathering-became aware in mid-1990s, never played as I figured it would be a huge money sink.
Marvel/ D.C-was aware of comic books and there being two big companies back in the late 1980s but figured

Star Trek-saw TNG regularly in the mid 1990s when it was on.
Dr. Who-was aware of it as 'the British Star Trek' but only caught the revival in the mid-2000s. I enjoyed it.
LOTR-mom read me the Hobbit in the mid 1980s as a bedtime story.
Sandman-mid 1990s, enjoyed it as well as other Vertigo properties like Transmetropolitan, Invisibles, and Hellblazer. (Transmet was probably my favorite as I enjoyed the way all the futuristic technology was used for stupid commercial purposes--seemed realistic to me.)
Buffy-2000s, I was already past peak age range by the time I was aware it existed.

Richards

Legend
D&D: 1979, AD&D 1st edition. My two cousins introduced me to the game, and despite having to choose the least-sucky PCs from a group of about a dozen that they had used a computer to randomly generate six ability scores from 3-18 (on a flat curve, instead of 3d6) and nearly getting killed by giant rats, my two brothers and I were instantly hooked. We got the three core books as presents that Christmas from my mom.

Star Wars: 1977, saw the first movie in the theater the year it came out. Saw the rest of them that way, too, although I never bothered with Solo or the last one of the "core 9." Maybe I'll get around to them someday, but I'm in no real hurry - I'm really not all that much of a Star Wars fan.

Earthsea: I was aware of their existence when I joined the Science Fiction Book Club in high school (for the first time of many; I'd join to get four books for a dollar, buy the requisite four more at full price, quit, wait a bit, then join again to get four more books for a dollar, and so on), but I never read them. I've read a few of LeGuin's short stories, but that's about it.

Harry Potter: My son read them when they first came out and talked them up enough to arouse my interest, so I read his copy of each book as it came out, once he was done with it. (Years later, I'd return the favor with the Gentlemen Bastards series.)

Magic The Gathering: Never played (no interest), probably first became aware of the game through Dragon magazine ads.

Marvel/DC: Hoo boy. I've been aware of the main superheroes in each franchise via cartoons via Saturday morning cartoons (Super Friends, the original Spider-Man cartoon, etc.) from when I was little, but my first comic book purchase wasn't even a superhero comic. I was in a convenience store one day when I was a sophomore in high school (that would be around 1979-1980 or so) when I spotted a John Carter: Warlord of Mars comic on the spin-racks. Having been a big fan of the Barsoomian novels, I picked it up immediately, and then noticed they also had a comic book of Godzilla, so I had to buy that as well (although the Marvel Godzilla wasn't drawn as accurately as I would have preferred). After a few months of checking out the spin-racks for my two titles, I saw Amazing Spider-Man issue #196 (or thereabouts), with the blurb "The Final Fate of Aunt May!" blazing across the top, and I thought to myself, "Wait - they're going to kill off Peter Parker's Aunt May? This I have to see!" since I recalled her from the cartoons I watched as a kid. It took a few issues later to find out that was a hoax (she wasn't dead after all - whew!), but I was now up to three Marvel comic books a month. And then Spider-Man had a crossover storyline with the Fantastic Four, and I started picking up that title as well...which eventually led me to getting into the Uncanny X-Men, the Avengers, Iron Man, Daredevil, Doctor Strange, and so on. Without quite understanding how it had happened at the time, I had fallen fully into the Marvel Universe. I've been a comic book collector ever since, although I've dropped back significantly on how many titles I read (comics were 35 cents when I started collecting; now they're routinely $3.99). And I never got that much into DC other than Batman solo titles (mostly Legends of the Dark Knight and the occasional Elseworlds one-shots, as I enjoyed the character of Batman but really couldn't tolerate Robin), and then later Saga of the Swamp Thing (when Alan Moore was writing it) and John Constantine: Hellblazer; I picked up the complete Sandman collection in graphic novel format after the fact.

And while there are a bunch of other topics having been added on since, I'll just mention one particular one (this is already a long post!), since it's had such a big impact on my life:

Doctor Who: I first saw a few of the Jon Pertwee (Third Doctor) serials as Saturday night specials on our local PBS station during Pledge Week. I enjoyed them so much that as a freshman in high school, one week after joining the track team (I was a fast sprinter in middle school, and the coach found that out and pressured me to join the team), I immediately quit when the PBS station started airing the Pertwee episodes every weeknight at 5:30 PM. I couldn't do track practice and watch Doctor Who, so track was right out. (I remember my mom was kind of pissed at first, since we'd had to pay $20.00 for my sports physical, but she ended up being a Doctor Who fan as well.)

And, as odd as it sounds, I owe my marriage to Doctor Who. In the summer of 1983, after my freshman year of college, I was back home and I volunteered to help out at my little sister's middle school library, aiding with their book inventory. That's when I found out the head librarian, Mrs. Adams (who was divorced with two daughters she was raising alone) had - just like me - tickets to a Doctor Who convention in Chicago the following weekend. We decided to save money and carpool to the convention. And, since this was 1983, the 20th anniversary of the show, there were a lot of Doctor Who conventions in Chicago that summer - we hit four of them all in all. And somehow, by the end of that summer, "Mrs. Adams" stopped being my Doctor Who convention carpool partner and had somehow become "Mary," the woman I couldn't imagine not spending the rest of my life with. We got married the following year (I was just shy of 20, she was 35), and next month we'll be celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary. And all because of a TV show about a Time Lord in a little blue box, traveling the Universe and helping people.

Johnathan

Lazvon

Adventurer
D&D: 1981 or so. My childhood best friend had a copy and we would play on the school lunchroom a little bit at first.

Star Wars: was there for the premier. :)

Earth sea: heard about it decades ago. Never read/watched anything.

H.Potter: I held out for many many years. I read the first book probably about a year or two after it came out, too juvenile so decided to wait until my first born was old enough to enjoy. Probably didn’t wait quite long enough, but about 5-years ago read them all with them. Definitely got better. Watched all the movies when we finished the books.

Magic The Gathering: when it first came out. Played a lot for a couple years, then it lost its luster for me and I gave almost all my cards keeping just a few (2-4) decks.

Marvel/ D.C: really got into comics around 1986 or so… but quickly left Marvel/DC for independents. Built a massive collection from ‘88 until ‘93 or so, and really haven’t read since… spotty limited series every once in a while if wife says something is awesome.

HP Lovecraft: started reading the books in 1984 or 1985; started playing the game in 1988 or 1989. Remember running a session by candlelight after the electricity went out from Hurricane Hugo. Howling winds, roofs and trees flying, church steeple crashing into yard outside… probably the all time best session of a game I have ever ran, but had very little to do with my abilities I am sure. :)

Gaming Conventions: 1984 or 1985, went for D&D and found sooooo many other games to enjoy and really started branching out from the TSR games the hobby shop carried.

Sci Fi Conventions: 6-months after the gaming convention, because the club that did gaming con in fall did SciFi on the spring. Introduced to Filking and so many other things then.

Many many other things along the way… almost all very early. Star Trek (1975 or so) and Starfleet “fan” and service club (1988-1994), Doctor Who (1975), computer gaming (1981), electronics building (1978 or 1979), BBSes (1983), SciFi & Fantasy reading (1981)… so many things…

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
So, what year were you introduced to the big following things:

D&D
Don't know the exact year. Early 80s with the Moldvay Basic Set.
Star Wars
1977. I saw every movie the year it came out.
Earth sea
Just now. Have to Google it. Have no idea what it is.
In law school, of all places, in 1999/2000. A classmate liked the book and gave me her copy after she finished it. It was pleasant, light reading and I enjoyed it okay, but never felt compelled to read any of the subsequent books. I enjoyed the movies when they came out.
Magic The Gathering
In college in the early 90s. Even though I was no longer playing TTRPGs at the time, I remember having a snotty attitude when the game was explained to me. I never played MtG until Christmas this year. My younger son and his friends are into it and he taught me to play over Christmas break. I enjoy playing the game, but I am not a fan of collectible card games like Magic and Pokemon where you buy packs of random cards hoping to get a special.
Marvel/ D.C
Late 70s? Spiderman Cartoons. Don't recall reading much of the comics until middle school in the early 80s, even then it was usually comics friends owned. I never got into comics. I've red more graphic novels and comics in my 40s that at any other time in my life.
Other big-name geek stuff that I may have left out.
Dr. Who. Watched re-runs and new episodes on PBS. I watched Star Trek a bit, but Dr. Who is what I was really into, to the point where in high school in the late 80s I volunteered to answer calls during the PBS annual fund drives. I don't remember when I started. I believe middle school, so early 80s? Tom Baker was the Doctor I started with and was my favorite Doctor and The Master of the Tom Baker era is still the quintessential Master for me. Patrick Troughton was my second favorite. Now, I would probably put David Tenant first and Tom Baker second.

The Hobit/Lord of the Rings - Saw The Hobbit (Bass Rankin) animated movie when it was shown in my elementary school in the late 70s. Can't remember when I read the Lord of the Rings books. Middle school, I think.

Anime. Late high school. A small number of people were into it in my circle of friends and I remember watching Akira in 88 or 89 and it blew me away. But I didn't catch the bug. Didn't really like other anime films and never watched any until my mid/late 40s when my older son introduced me to Deathnote and Attack on Titan. I'm still very selective of what Anime I watch.

Sex. Not until Freshman year of college. What!? That doesn't qualify for big-name geek stuff?!

Remove ads